Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why do people put xxx in VIN number when advertising?

Re: Why do people put xxx in VIN number when advertising?

At Davenport many years ago ,I saw a gentleman from Europe buy A bike and when the Gent handed him the title,he said those are no good in europe so keep it and make another!I knew that would catch up with us when they started to come back across the pond! Quite different dealing with the Japanese buyers,they need the title to transport and register.[I know I just pissed you guys off again,just info]

UK same conditions as Japanese, but also US customs will not allow export without clear & proper title ( in theory)

3. Re: Why do people put xxx in VIN number when advertising?

Hi,
    People who don't put the VIN; and or frame numbers in an ad on an eBay listing can probably expect a few thousand dollars less in the bike's final value. The seller might be safer but he will also be poorer. If somebody wants your numbers all they have to is come and take a look at the bike and write down the numbers. Not exposing your numbers might keep long-distance crooks away, but even then, when evil wants its way; it gets its way. I deal mainly with Indian numbers from the 1940s/1950s, and bogus numbers are probably 10% of the numbers out there. A set of engine cases just sold on eBay for $2,200.00. C-2371 is the engine's numbers and the stamping is not original. Could it be a legitimate stamping by a dealer to replace broken/blown-up cases? Yes it could but those cases are devalued, but the seller did not mention the possibility that the numbers are not factory original. Maybe the seller did not know. Maybe the seller did. If somebody wants top dollar for their bike, the numbers on the engine and/or frame should be given to potential buyers so that the legitimacy of the number stamping can be determined. Michael Breeding has published an Indian number study and I have also conducted a study of the numbers from the early 1940s thru to the end of Indian production in 1953. My findings support Mr. Breeding's findings. There are absolutely trends in the numbers/letters used by Indian and if anybody out there wants their current numbers or numbers they are looking to buy, checked for authenticity, I'll gladly do it for free. I can be reached at [email protected]. If the numbers you send me look funny, I'll tell you. You might become unhappy, so don't do it unless you want the unvarnished truth. I have helped many people determine that their current numbers are indeed legitimate, so if you have a doubt and want to know more, contact me and we can go from there.

4. Re: Why do people put xxx in VIN number when advertising?

Is there a way to post either yours or Michael's study online here? I think it would be a great addition to CAIMAG's reference material. Thanks, Bones...
    BONES47FL
    '46 Chief
    '47 FL

5. Re: Why do people put xxx in VIN number when advertising?

Hi,
    I'll contact Michael Breeding and see if he will allow his study to be posted to the CAI site. His study is eight pages of photos and notes that describes the various changes that Indian made in their engine numbers from 1946 thru to the end in 1953. I can post my findings independently of his. I'm currently working on putting together my revised version of all the surviving 1950-53 Chiefs. That document is very interesting and is the most complete version I know of. Jacob Junker in California might have a more complete version, but I've never seen his. My list of surviving Blackhawk 80 inch Chiefs from 1950-53 contains around 300 survivors of the approximately 2,800 made. The production of 1946-46 Chiefs approached 28,000 units, so that is one of the reasons why so many more of the 46-48 Chiefs survive and show up for sale. Based on eBay listings, approximately 100 of the 46-48 Chiefs change hands a year. The 50-53 Chiefs is more like 10. Once I hear back from Michael Breeding, I either will or will not post his study based on his wishes. In the case of my study, I hope to have something worthy of this forum by the end of the month or possibly sometime in February. That includes both my number study and my survivor list. Spring is not that far away and my bike needs a few things tended to. One must keep one's priorities in order. Ha! Ha!

Hi ,you done any research on 4 cyl numbers?

7. Re: Why do people put xxx in VIN number when advertising?

Hi,
    I've done minimal research on Indian Four numbers. I do have contacts that have done extensive research into Four numbers because they own one or more. I don't own any, though I'd like to. If you have a specific number question or picture of a number you want researched, send it to [email protected] and I'll forward it to my contacts for their evaluation. That is about the best I can do. Sincerely, Steven Bailey. P.S. If my contacts want to reveal their identity to anyone submitting a number for evaluation, I'll leave that up to my contacts. Some people enjoy their anonymity. Personally, I also like some aspects of anonymity but in order to help people you have to be out with the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow53Chief View Post
    Hi,
    I hope to have something worthy of this forum by the end of the month or possibly sometime in February. That includes both my number study and my survivor list. Spring is not that far away and my bike needs a few things tended to. One must keep one's priorities in order. Ha! Ha!
    Your efforts would be very much appreciated. Indian knowledge is almost cult-like and has probably put many people off from pursuing them. Still, Indians have always been a desirable motorcycyle despite the information shortfall.

Thread Information