Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame Paint

Frame Paint

Can someone suggest a manufacturer and paint color for frame paint for a knuck. Just got the toolbox bracket welded and a few more bushings to replace and it will be time. This is not a perfect resto, just a rider, but I do want as much as possible to be correct.

This is my first go at restoring a bike close to original, so I need all the help I can muster.

Thanks for your help.
    Old fart ridin' a dirty '06 SG with bugs splatted all over and a smile on his face.

2006 FLHX
    1946 EL (long way to go to get her road worthy)
    1948 UL

Re: Frame Paint

My painter used PPG single stage enamel, # DCC-9300 Gloss Black, with an epoxy primer.
    This is on my '52FL frame. I'm very pleased with the results.
    I put up some photos, here's a link to that thread:

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...or-gloss/page6

But, I have to throw this disclaimer out there--- just because I think it's great, doesn't mean you will. People's preferences are often different, so what I really like, you may not.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Thanks. There is still a fair amount of original black paint on the frame, so I plan on scuffing those areas and prime and paint. Not sure if it makes sense to sand or bead blast down to bare metal.
    Old fart ridin' a dirty '06 SG with bugs splatted all over and a smile on his face.

2006 FLHX
    1948 UL

We get frames blasted here for around $125. They use an aluminum oxide blend and come out real nice.
    The benefit is that with the paint gone, you can find a lot of small cracks that are common in the lower parts of the frame, down around the transmission base support and other areas where knucklehead frames are prone to cracking. Another benefit is that you will save hours and hours of sanding....!
    Personally, if I had a frame down that far, I would want to know if there are any other small cracks that need repaired-- I wouldn't want to inadvertantly paint a cracked frame.
    But that's just me....
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Bigincher gave some good advice; paint can hide sins. However, if you feel confident that the frame is fine, there is no need to strip the old paint. A very experience restoration friend made the comment that old paint is the best primer because it is fully cured and obviously well adhered to it's host. Like Bigincher, I use a single stage gloss black with a hardner. I use Dupont, but I like PPG too. The most basic rule of painting is surface prep. Prep is 95% of the job and by the time you get finished with that torture, painting is fun.

I have inspected the welded and brazed areas closely and am pretty sure of the integrity of the frame. I chased all of the threaded holes and dressed flat all of the mounting surfaces. There no elongated holes and the only repair was to the two rear transmission bosses. They are now heli-coil repaired. Better to blast it while it's down this far.

2006 FLHX
    1948 UL

Don't forget or overlook masking the frame motor mounting flats before it's painted. Just a reminder. i once assembled a bike with painted motor mounts. Within fifteen miles, the motor was rattling round in the frame when the paint was pulverized and the cotter-pinned castlenuts continued to do their job, within about a thirty-seconds-inch of tight.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

The transmission plate mounts should also be masked, in my opinion. Same theory as the motor mounts.
    I forgot to have my painter do that. I think I will mill the paint off with a file....
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

H-D used zinc chromate paint.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos