Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HD Tank Emblems and Paint Colors 1940 - 1965

Re: HD Tank Emblems and Paint Colors 1940 - 1965

Quote Originally Posted by 50pan50 View Post
    Don't know if he would give out the formula but try John Pierce at Colorite
    http://hdpaint.tk/colors/1950.html
    No samples, but you can buy paint....

Glad to see this posted. I contacted John about paint and found that it is beyond bizzare priced. Nothing more than today's paint that has simply been matched to a NOS part's correct color and marked up 500%. Fine and good for those that don't mind but my paint guy can whip up a quart of the same paint for $65.00 instead of $400.00. Perfect match everytime so far. I really appreciate the folks out there that are making things available to the market, but getting ass raped over a quart of paint isn't doing any of us a favor. I refuse to bend over... Seadub

Quote Originally Posted by bianese View Post
    Glad to see this posted. I contacted John about paint and found that it is beyond bizzare priced. Nothing more than today's paint that has simply been matched to a NOS part's correct color and marked up 500%. Fine and good for those that don't mind but my paint guy can whip up a quart of the same paint for $65.00 instead of $400.00. Perfect match everytime so far. I really appreciate the folks out there that are making things available to the market, but getting ass raped over a quart of paint isn't doing any of us a favor. I refuse to bend over... Seadub
    I have never dealt with the guy, came across his website a while ago, doing the same search for paint. I agree, any competent spray painter should be able to match the colour, if you have a sample.
    Last edited by 50pan50; 11-11-2016 at 06:52 PM.

I can understand the amount of time and research that certain people have put into this hobby and coming up with the best reproduction part or paint or whatever to try to make the most accurate replacement item it may be, but at some point as Mr. Pitts said recently, "When does it stop being fun?" I will try to not single anyone out, but just like Bianese says,"What is a reasonable net-net profit and when does it become unreasonable". In my business, which is a seasonable business where you must make in 6 months enough to last you 12 months, a doubling of product and labor cost allows me to continue business the next year. This is not at the point that I am making a huge net-net profit, it just allows me to continue. This takes into account all outgoing costs such as mortgages, insurance, 401K benefits, vehicle loans and all cost of doing business. Of course, I must remain competitive with a similar type business in my area or people will not use me for my services, but there is a cut-off point. We have seen recently the big blow-up about epi-pens being $700.00 each for a $20.00 item. I know this well as my ins. co just denied me coverage for mine even tho I pay over 20 grand a year with a $6500 deductible. I'm just throwing this out there, and was wondering what people thought is the cut-off point as to when the rough sand-paper comes out and the Vaseline gets put away. I understand every business has a different cost of doing business, but there is a net-net figure in the end. What do you think it should be???
    Last edited by HDpanman; 11-12-2016 at 08:55 AM.

I can understand the amount of time and research that certain people have put into this hobby and coming up with the best reproduction part or paint or
    whatever to try to make the most accurate replacement item it may be, but at some point as Mr. Pitts said recently, "When does it stop being fun?"
    It is dependent on the skills and financial resources of the person involved.
    Some of us have the skills to take a pile of junk and turn it into a motorcycle again.
    It is fun and satisfying to do this.
    It is also fun to ride the bike when complete.
    I have been riding my 41EL this summer, it is a very cool bike, everyone looks at it and thinks I found it this way, put some gas and oil in it any away you go.
    Only a couple close friends and this board know what it took to get there.
    I enjoy this for some strange reason.

Others have money but don't have wrenching skills so they buy and sell bikes they want and hire others to do repairs.
    It stops being fun when you run out of money or can't do it anymore.

Are you tired of all this and gonna sell all your bikes ?
    Last edited by 1950panhead; 11-12-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1950panhead View Post
    Some of us have the skills to take a pile of junk and turn it into a motorcycle again.
    I have been riding my 41EL this summer, it is a very cool bike, everyone looks at it and thinks I found it this way, put some gas and oil in it any away you go.

Others have money but don't have wrenching skills so they buy and sell bikes they want and hire others to do repairs.

aren't you the guy that posts all the e-bay adds with a running commentary?

aren't you the guy that posts all the e-bay adds with a running commentary?
    Several of us make ebay posts.
    I usually post when the price is crazy or the listing is strange in some way.
    Is there a connection between ebay posts and not being fun anymore ?

Several of us make ebay posts.
    I usually post when the price is crazy or the listing is strange in some way.
    Is there a connection between ebay posts and not being fun anymore ?
    nope I'm having fun right now.

Interesting response to my philosophy on business. You seem to place most of the ability to have fun in this hobby on money and skills. Your response really doesn't have a lot to do with my statement and to me it looks like trolling for an argument but hey,, lets have a go at it. I wish you would have numbered your responses to make it easier for others to follow so just follow line by line;

Yes, some have skills to take a pile into a ridable pile. Did that a couple times with my '58. First time in '70. 2nd in 76 and 3rd in 89. I am an assembler, not a machinist or fabricator.

If it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it. I also have other interests if the time away from motorcycles allows it.

See above.

I'm trying to see past the lines here so help me out. I do not want to assume anything. Does this mean you have a patina'ed bike that you pass off as one of those "As found" barn fresh for 50 year bikes?? Help me out here.

I don't think it is strange that you enjoy it, I think most people on here have the same affliction.

To each his own as to how they spend their money and persue and enjoy their hobbies. It still remains fun if you run out of money it just isn't fun for you.

Now for the most interesting and final of your trolling questions.
    I am not currently "Tired" of all this and if I was they would all go to my daughter. There is a line forming to the right if you want to get on it.
    If myself or my immediate family was in a situation where their health was dependent on the sales and this would finance their recovery and survivability, out the door they would go.

It is quite interesting that you brought the conversation way off in this direction, having to have myself "Justify" my abilities or financial status to you. I was unaware this was one of your requirements to participate in a dialog about what is in or out of line on profit margins for normal business pratices. I understand this hobby does not fall into "Normal" but wanted to open up a conversation. Thanks for the help.

It is quite interesting that you brought the conversation way off in this direction, having to have myself "Justify" my abilities or financial status to you. I was unaware this was one of your requirements to participate in a dialog about what is in or out of line on profit margins for normal business pratices.
    You don't have to justify anything to me or anyone else.
    I know you have several bikes, I do too.
    There are guys that want an antique bike but cannot afford it.
    I responded to the first part of your post, some guys complained it wasn't fun anymore as the cost of paint and parts was sky high, I enjoy this hobby, I have fun, I want to continue, the cost of paint and parts effects me same as everyone, my financial resources have limits.
    If I had millions of dollars I would buy a knuckle and indian four from each year, I don't, very happy to have what I have.

I'm just throwing this out there, and was wondering what people thought is the cut-off point as to when the rough sand-paper comes out and the Vaseline gets put away. I understand every business has a different cost of doing business, but there is a net-net figure in the end. What do you think it should be???
    I think is greed is good. If everyone works hard there is prosperity. If no one works there is poverty.
    Charge what ever your customers are willing to pay. I can't give you a number, what will your customers pay?
    Last edited by 1950panhead; 11-13-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Thread Information