Thread: how to take apart girder for new risers. Chief 1947

how to take apart girder for new risers. Chief 1947

Hi all. I have a 1947 Chief and I am trying to take the old risers off and replace them. I am having a hard time getting the shackles off. Any tricks? If I take off the nuts on the ends of the threaded rods should the shackles slide off? do I need to squeeze the front end together like a harley springer to do this? Any help would be great I just picked this bike up the other day and cant wait to have it on the road. Thanks Denis

Re: how to take apart girder for new risers. Chief 1947

I am far from an expert but about 25yrs ago I had to replace one of my shackles and it not only had the bolt holdin it on but was threaded onto the shaft. It was a real pain to figure out with out a manuel but I managed to do it. Someone here with alot more knowledge will chime in for sure.

A little more knowledge, not a lot. One side, I forget which, has threaded holes in the shackles. The other has tapers and locknuts. Take all the nuts off and tap the shackles till the taper releases. Whichever end depends on how they've been assembled. Sorry can't be more precise. HTH, Neil

Right! One side is threaded, the other tapered. Best to compress and hold the springs to disassemble and re-assemble, here's one way:

1946 Chief - take apart and put back together

hey thanks guys. So the right side has those bolts with 2 flat spots.. Do I back those out? and the left side is tapered? I dont think this thing has ever been apart in 65 years! Thanks again Denis

Denis, the end of the shackle bolt that has the flats on it is the threaded end, the links on that side thread onto the shackle bolt, the flats are so you can get a wrench on the shackle bolt and turn it. Depending on what you're replacing (needle bearings can be replaced with bushings) you should take off the nuts on the tapered end as well as on the threaded end, tap on the end of the shackle bolt (using a drift so you don't mung up any threads) on the tapered side to free it up, then go to the threaded side and put a wrench on those flats to unthread the shackle bolt from the link. If the bearings are seized and the shackle bolt won't turn then you can tap on the tapered ends of both shackle bolts (alternating) and take out both shackle bolts with the threaded link attached.
    Last edited by Pisten-Bully; 10-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Piston Bully thanks for the info. I got the back tapered end to free up but not the front. I have been beating on it and it just won't free up for me. Do you think I can put some heat on it and try or is that not a good idea? The pinch bolts are not coming out I actually snapped the flat on the pinch bolt! I have a strap on the fork compressing the springs and just whaling away on the tapered end the front just will not push through. Thanks again Denis

Quote Originally Posted by dbabin View Post
    I got the back tapered end to free up but not the front. I have been beating on it and it just won't free up for me. Do you think I can put some heat on it and try or is that not a good idea? The pinch bolts are not coming out I actually snapped the flat on the pinch bolt!
    First you should go easy with the heat I think, you don't want to mess with the temper of the link, but a little warming might do the trick. If you've got the back one to free up, does that mean you can now turn the back shackle bolt and un-thread it? Because if you can get the back shackle bolt out then you'll be able to use the link itself (still connected to the front shackle bolt) to turn the front shackle bolt to un-thread the one side or twist it free of the taper on the other side. Lots of penetrating oil on the taper end even though most of it will end up on the floor you might get some to wick its way in there.

Thread Information