Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Encourage Them

Re: Encourage Them

Robbie is exactly right and I am a case in point. Growing up, my dad's old bikes that never started, always broke down, didn't run well, leaked oil etc etc were a pain. They looked great but didnt run. I didnt have the time or interest to change that. When I could, I bought a dyna wide glide and away I went - with instant gratification. I gradually regained interest in the old bikes until i realized one day I was hooked. I was in a pretty unique situation and exposed to these old bikes at a young age. Rode my first pan when I was a teenager. No idea how you get young kids interested today as they wont have the time or patience to keep these bikes running. Have to do some promoting I suppose.

cmd11 Guest

the iron head was so under rated to this day it is i never been one to care what the cc is as long as i can make it my own can i love the changle of working on older harleys there fun to me and i am only 27 but my dad was in to harleys i got it from him now it shovel head or pan head time

I don't think its all lost on the younger generation.The rat rod and rockabilly guys are turning out some great homegrown mechanical pieces.Old Triumphs and BSAs some Harley and 60's Hondas,are being brought back to life in their vision.We did all this in the 60s and 70's.Now we do restorations.Most of these guys do this on small budgets and a lot of elbow grease and love of mechanical things.(sound familiar)This is where the future lies.When the DAs turn grey and their scene dies down,I think they will see the value in what we do.We need to get closer to these quys.Show up at their events and invite them to ours.There is more common ground than not.We rode choppers to be different and be part of something,Their experience is not much different.
    Just my two cents.,Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    So unless vintage motorcycles become cool with the role models of their generation, they aren't going to care.
    Personally I'd rather it stayed 'uncool' for a bit. At least long enough for me to get my hands on something. I'm 26. I'm doing everything I can to continue the 'sport' in spirit. Believe me when I say money is the only reason I'm not continuing the sport in actuality.

"Two of the guys I hang out with most are all much older than I am. One is the guy that helped me out locally when I first started - giving me tips and letting me hang out in his garage. The other is a guy I met recently that used to work for a HD dealership for about 20 years."
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••
    If you hang out with people that are older and smarter (they've done the wrong things plenty enough), then you'll cut through a lot of the "self-experience red tape."
    I've ALWAYS had mentors throughout my life. One important thing for kids (5 to 35 yrs.) to remember is that old people and good mechanics like to repeat things to kids (5-35 yrs.), because when they are telling you about a procedure (you're learning) and the mentors are also reviewing the procedure, because they need the reassurance that they still remember how to proceed.
    So, those are some "people facts" that won't change ever and you can use that in life, by opening your mental filing cabinet and selecting a resource.
    If a kid has a mentor(s) and he applies anything at all about what he's learning, then he becomes a mentor to his friends. What develops early on then, with enough mentoring is a quiet, centered, knowledgeable person.
    Also, if you're Scotch/Irish or have that born-genetic drive to work at something continuously, you will be so far advanced beyond your peer group, that eventually you'll tire of your peer group and move up to the mentor group.
    It's too hard for me to explain, but the mentor thing works and probably has since people starting talking.
    Last edited by Plumber; 10-11-2010 at 07:54 AM.

iam 29 years old and like old harleys, (before 1950), the only ''problem'' is that they are expensive.....

I`m 32, and have been collecting `Junk` since i was 16.
    Grew up together mith one of my best friends in his fathers garage- was allways something going on in there, cars, bikes and good old music from the 50`s, we were given a old 150cc from the early 50`s that we could do whatever we wanted to do with(everything was about the 50`s) had the best years of my life so far in that garage.
    Now he`s son have moved out and the old guy spends a lot of the time on his own, well, when i`m not there- there`s so much information and knownledge that i just dont want to miss + that garage bring up memories.
    The old guy have started to have problems wiht he`s knees so there is a lot of stuff to be done, paying the man back for years of knownledge.
    what i`m trying to say is that this hobby doesn`t need to be expensive, it`s all about friendship and helping out eachother, probably sounds stupid in this time when everything is about the money... i got a barn full with old junk, i got most of it by helping out people and trading , cheap and it feels good helping out.
    Take the youngsters by the horns while they`r still young

Quote Originally Posted by arjan View Post
    iam 29 years old and like old harleys, (before 1950), the only ''problem'' is that they are expensive.....
    Start small and work your way up. I started with mini bikes, then dirt bikes, then small jap street bikes, a Triumph 650, Harley Sportster, FLH. It all starts with the interest of riding what you build. At your age you could start somewhere in the middle, get an old bike cheap that doesnt run, and work on it. Then you can trade upwards like most of us did. It all starts with taking an interest on one bike.

[QUOTE=Rubone;59077]What I see is a lack of desire in the younger generation to commit the time and effort needed to build one of these old bikes. Yes, I know there are exceptions. But the majority are not willing to put in the time. Everything these days is about instant gratification. And the cost is not that much of an issue. I see plenty of young people riding new Sport bikes and fancy cars with stereo systems worth the cost of an Ironhead Sporty. A new CBR costs as much or more than a Shovelhead. A BMW 323 as much as a Chief or Panhead. It isn't about lack of money, it is about lack of desire. This is a sport of our generation, not the one behind us. So unless vintage motorcycles become cool with the role models of their generation, they aren't going to care. They definitely don't care what we think or want to emulate us. Time goes on and tastes and desires change. This is ours, but I have no idea how to make it interesting to them. They just see me as a weird old guy who wastes his time and money on old junk.

This has been my experience with the younger generation. My girlfriends son says he cant find a job, because he has no skill. But every weekend, when im in my garage working on a car, bike, woodworking, welding, painting, He wants no part of it. Needless to say, i have nothing of value to teach him in his eyes. I gave up on this kid, all he wants to do is play video games.

Pat-BMX.jpg

I believe my son Patrick will be the biker in the lot. The other two are musically inclined and lean toward the arts. Pat is physical and into BMX bikes. A natural transition from pedals to motors.
    A poor boy plays by poor boy ways

Thread Information