Page 83 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: 1952 FL Restoration--- A Mock-Up Assembly

Re: 1952 FL Restoration--- A Mock-Up Assembly

I like everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
    whenever I install ex pipes I use some small oak wedges and paint sticks to keep the pipes from rubbing the cases and frame on the final install. after everything is where I want it and tight I take them out and then shine a light between everything to make sure it stayed in place. please cover the generator hole before something finds its way in. your giving me anxiety when I look at it. plug the hole with the generator before you put the front pipe on.
    Great tip, T-bone! I was noticing how close the pipes are. I will use your method, thank you.

I have lots of generators, two or three or four in good working order, but not with new finishes. I'm still debating on restoring one myself, or sending one to Rich Brown.
    I've got a pile of parts, I'll call him and see if I can just send him a pile and he can build me one out of the pile.

And right now, I'll go put some tape over that opening.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post

And here’s the first ‘special tool’ I ever bought for this motorcycle- a manifold wrench. I don’t know how you could get by without one. (Oh wait—there’s always a pipe wrench…!)

TO BE CONTINUED……………………
    Tom - please confirm you are still willing to be serious here and ensure those two plumber nuts are aligned. Absolute min req. Optionally do a effort please to have both lower nut edges horizontal or the both external edges vertical (referenced to the motorcycle main axis)... +/-30deg tolerance should do this feasible with that fine thread...

Do not force us to pick up that total failure and scrap it.

Thx
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

Your bike is really coming along nicely Tom!
    64 Duo-Glide

Before I installed the speedometer and routed the cable, I read that section in Palmers. He states that the cable is secured by a clip that is attached under the LEFT REAR cylinder base nut of the FRONT cylinder. I'm not sure if he determined that strictly by studying a factory photo, but in the factory photo, it does *appear* to be attached at that location.

However, please look closely at this blowup of that area in a 1952FL factory photo. You may see that although the clip is attached to the cable, it IS NOT underneath the nut- it's just sitting there, seems to be merely mocked up for the photo shoot........

(The clip is new for 1952; 1951-and-earlier Hyrdaglides have a clip that attaches to the top center case bolt.)

So I studied my collection of original paint machines that I've saved over the years. All the following photos are of unrestored original paint machines.....

Because of the photo evidence I have that's contrary to Palmer's statement, I've decided to attach the clip to the LEFT FRONT cylinder base nut on the REAR cylinder, as seen in the photos above.
    To help confirm this, I'd like anyone here with a reasonably original 1952 or '53 (even '54) machine to confirm or deny the attachment at this location. Until I see proof that the clip goes on the front cylinder base nut, I'm leaving it on the rear. Thanks in advance....
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

My 1952, 1957 and 1961 Panheads all have it on left rear of front cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 57Pan View Post
    My 1952, 1957 and 1961 Panheads all have it on left rear of front cylinder.
    Thanks, 57. I take it these are unmolested machines?

I can see how the routing would be better that way. I wonder why I see so many that are on the rear cylinder.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Um, excuse me but I thought I would let you know mine is on the rear stud of the front cylinder. My bike is a older restoration, possibly done in the early 90's in the Vancouver area. There is no sign that it was ever on the rear cylinder but having followed this thread I will note to shift it next time it's up on my stand.

Cheers
    Murray
    52 EL
    Still no Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Um, excuse me but I thought I would let you know mine is on the rear stud of the front cylinder. My bike is a older restoration, possibly done in the early 90's in the Vancouver area. There is no sign that it was ever on the rear cylinder but having followed this thread I will note to shift it next time it's up on my stand.

Cheers
    Murray
    52 EL
    Still no Indian.
    Don't rush out and change it yet, Murray. I'm still on the fence. Waiting for more responses before I move it to the front, or leave it on the rear.
    I have a photo of a fairly recently restored '52, and the clip is on the front cylinder- I suspect because Palmer says that's where it goes. Of all the photos I have, that one was the only one with it on the front cylinder. It will work either way, of course, but I'm trying to get it right. The factory photo is not definitive because it's not actually bolted down in that position.
    Maybe I'll start a new thread on the subject to attract more viewers.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

The factory photo location looks to me the better option. (left rear of front cylinder.)Because it allows the cable to have a nice natural arc , due to the angle of the cylinder deck. Installing it on the rear looks to force the outer tube in a un natural position. Just my opinion and observation.
    Last edited by tomcat1; 06-22-2017 at 07:24 AM.
    1947 EL
    1947WL
    2000FLSTC

But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

You never get better....you just get less awful. "Joe Walsh"

Thread Information