Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Petcocks - '46 Chief

1. Re: Leaking Petcocks - '46 Chief

I have used the petcock grease that tomfiii mentions, and it is superior. The stuff is remarkably gooey and slimy - but most importantly, it is fuel resistant. Stan Csapo gave me some to try on my petcocks, and it makes the petcocks must easier to turn, and mine don't leak either - so far.
    Fuel lube - petcock grease A by Steven Bailey, on Flickr

Fuel lube - petcock grease B by Steven Bailey, on Flickr

Re: Leaking Petcocks - '46 Chief

What will they think of next?

Where did you buy the EZ Turn Lubricant, Yellow53 ? I looked on ebay, but what turned up had nothing to do with fuel valves

4. Re: Leaking Petcocks - '46 Chief

Howdy chaps,

Quite silly, all this, the spring compression way too high for our gravity feed app, upon purchase, merely cut one or two coils out of the spring on your basic Indian supplier purchased fuel taps and these can last for decades. Tapered cone construction is self centering needing almost no compression, a new one can be rotated to home to an effective seal with no aid of the supplied spring. Excessive spring pressure leads to galling from the most minute pollutant and no amount of dressing with paste afterward will restore a seal as effective as original.

5. Re: Leaking Petcocks - '46 Chief

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    Where did you buy the EZ Turn Lubricant, Yellow53 ? I looked on ebay, but what turned up had nothing to do with fuel valves
    The EZ Turn lubricant I tried came from Stan Csapo, but I'm not sure where he bought it. I think the product is mostly an aviation product. I hear you concerning eBay lubricant options. Most of the lubricants on eBay are more for 'personal' use. The aviation source given earlier in this thread may be one of the few sources out there.

Peter, I have had issues with galling due to high spring pressure, however I recently had a new, all brass petcock fail on my Henderson. The petcock was a near perfect match to my genuine Hen pet***** with the exception of the handle which I modified. I believe the failure was due to something in the fuel as the male taper was lightly pitted, and discolored. The EZ Turn lube sounds like it might be a good deterrent, as it resists fuel. Hard to believe that modern fuel can be that corrosive to brass.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    Hard to believe that modern fuel can be that corrosive to brass.
    Modern Fuel Damages A Lot Of Things, Carbs Included, & We're Stuck With It...
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

I bought from here as is in my previous post. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ezturnlube.php

Thanks to everyone for bringing products, services, warnings, and advice to our attention. I just ordered some EZ Turn from Aircraft Spruce.

an update on my experience. i removed the leaky petcocks and disassembled them. no gouging or pitting on the surfaces, but not perfectly smooth either. a quick lapping with some fine valve grinding compound had the mating surfaces all cleaned up. then reassembly with the EZ Turn lubricant. put it all back together. 36 hours and 50 miles later the petcocks are dry as a bone and open and close with great ease due to the lubricant. an easy job to do and took me less than an hour start to finish. very happy with the results. I was considering removing a coil from the lever tension spring as was suggested, but didn't find that the springs were exerting too much pressure even without the lube, so i left them alone. thanks to all for your help. hoping for many more leak free miles....

Thread Information