Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: title Q's

Re: title Q's

hdliz - do you have the name of that company (if still in business)? Currently have a problem with a 41 UH. Came from Conn which is a non-title state. Got a Conn Form Q1 (DMV Bill of Sale), but the bike had not been registered so FL DMV will not issue a title.

I have used International Title service in the past (less than $100, it was for a 1973 Triumph). My Panhead did not have a title either, they guy I bought it from (Three Rivers MI) went into the DMV, with the left case half and walked out with a registration (the title came a week later in the mail. HOWEVER, I recently gave my Mother in law a modern Vespa that I resurrected (it was totaled) and I had no paperwork (this was in Kalamazoo MI). They did the proper thing and went to the DMV and a police officer came out and checked the VIN, really not a big deal. (this was less than six months ago). So my advice would be to go to the DMV and show them what you have. I think you are OK as long as the vehicle is less than $10k. Above that you need a bonding service to back you up.

Joe

Robbie covered it. Go through your state DMV if at all possible, there are many other routes but the roundabout system is getting less reliable. If the vin on the case is unaltered and out of the system you should be able to get it inspected and start the process which varies by state. Looks like nice stuff, good luck.
    Mike

Ask your DMV about filing for an abandoned vehicle title. In VA, you send the last owner of record a certified letter stating your intention to title and the associated storage fees. If know response in 30 days, DMV will issue you a title.
    1977 XL CE (tribute)
    1970 XLCH
    1961 XLCH
    2010 XL883N

A very easy way to get a title is to do a lien sale. In CA you have to do a certified letter to the last owner, if they can find them ;-). advertise the sale with a flyer on your building (usually put on your back door ;-). And fill out the paperwork. You can visit a towing impound yard and ask who conducts their lien sales for them. Pay them a few bucks and get your title.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Chris,
    Good point, I had forgotten about the lien option. I have a good mechanic friend (automotive) who owns his own shop, he can sell vehicles "abandoned" by customers who don't want to pay for repairs by filing a mechanics' lien. I don't know the entire process but it is valid in my state with the proper paperwork and procedures .

Title companies are out of the question, at least for now. Seems that ITS and a number of others are being investigated for some kind of fraud. A number of people have sent their money and received nothing. If you call BBB, they will refer you to the FBI and FTC. On the bright side, the following has been brought to my attention.

Title issue requirements are listed in Florida statute 319.23. Paragraph 319.23(3)(c) outlines documentation requirements for "ancient or antique" vehicles (30 years or older).

"If the vehicle is an ancient or antique vehicle, as defined in s. 320.086, the application shall be accompanied by a certificate of title; a bill of sale and a registration; or a bill of sale and an affidavit by the owner defending the title from all claims. The bill of sale must contain a complete vehicle description to include the vehicle identification or engine number, year make, color, selling price, and signatures of the seller and purchaser."[/I]

Note that the paragraph identifies two alternatives to satisfy the documentation requirements:

1. "... a certificate of title; a bill of sale and a registration"

OR

2. " ... a bill of sale and an affidavit by the owner defending the title from all claims". I have been told that this method does work, but generally you can expect the clerks to reject your application, but if you push it up the DMV chain of command, you will get a title.

Not sure how to word that "defending against all claims" part, but I have been assured that this has been used successfully by a number of people.

Florida DMV can be either a great help or a PITA. It just depends who is behind the desk when your number is called. Anyway, wish me luck.

BTW, if anybody has experience using this approach in Florida, good or bad, I could use the input before jumping back in.

Nick, Florida Fast Title can do it for you or you can do just what they do through the DMV yourself!
    http://floridafasttitle.com/

I went to the DMV with my notarized BOS and they turned me away, said we Cant Help. So I went to another. She said I have to get the bike Ins Bonded? for twice its worth and Then I'd have to keep it two years before I could sell it. I asked if the Ins was in case it was stolen. She said she didn't think I could buy Ins protecting me from buying a hot bike. She said I was buying Ins for the state, to cover them incase they reg. a hot bike. They told me to take the complete bike to an Ins Co. and they will put a price on it.? and then issue a bond. I've talked to others now that said just take the paperwork I have and $100 to most "cheesy" Ins and they will issue me the bond I'm after, and with that and the BOS I should get title with no problems.
    MI (near KZOO) used to be a quick title state, in that if you paid under $2500, you would get a title no Q's asked.
    Never heard of lien sale unless your a business, and then I'm not sure if a business would get involved with a bike that may be hot. (they don't know) Maybe if you knew the fella real good? IDK, I never gave that avenue much thought.

Don't know why I added the pix? Good luck to the Shovelnik and the 41

Quote Originally Posted by indianut View Post
    Nick, Florida Fast Title can do it for you or you can do just what they do through the DMV yourself!
    http://floridafasttitle.com/
    Great. I like that they are local. Going to DMV again tomorrow. If this gets too long and drawn out, I may just go to Florida Fast Title and throw more money at it!

Thread Information