Thread: Removing Corbin Speedo Bezels without damage

Removing Corbin Speedo Bezels without damage

I need to clean the inner glass on my Corbin, is there a safe way to remove the bezel, without cracking or stretching the metal? Is it better to twist it off, or just tap it straight off?

Re: Removing Corbin Speedo Bezels without damage

You might consider having Terry Marsh on Oregon clean that up for you; his speedometer work is perfect.

Corbin made a special rim removal tool I've seen used a few years ago at Dixon, Ca., it has fittings that properly grip the edge of the rim and pulls off the rim glass assembly without damage. The guy doing the demonstration had quite a few examples of damaged rims and chipped glass from not using the factory tool.

I worked in a speedometer repair shop for a few years when I went back to college. There are special tools for everything from removing the bezel to rolling it back on, pressing the bearings, etc. I would bite the bullet and send it out--

It probably is the best option to send it someone with the tools or experience in removing bezels. Mine's an original, and I didn't want to damage it. I've seen a few where they have split the metal along the sides, and, I don't think they are repairable.

I have the factory Corbin Speedometer tool for removing the bezel. I was going to put a picture on BUT this form is TOO SMALL for it ?

7. Re: Removing Corbin Speedo Bezels without damage

Howdy sir,

5 inch speedo bezels on Black Shadows are fine threaded onto the alloy body and notoriously difficult to remove because grip pressure often concentrated on one or two spots binds them completely up, fortunately, as you’ve observed yours is merely pressed on. Though I have the utmost respect for speedo vendors here I would very hesitant to ship mine to another continent when a easy solution is at hand.

Using the same principal of spreading the load with no single point concentrations I made up a master buck for removing mine when needed. Took speedo turned face down on small rectangle of 3/4 plywood, traced perimeter, allowing for thickness of a strip of old bicycle inner tube cut out hole, cut board linearly in half, glued aforementioned strip of tube around inner perimeter of the hole on this board, then drilled a hole lengthwise in each side to run long 1/4 inch carriage bolts through. Now basically had a vice to grab the head of the bezel. Mounted an old piece of frame tube laterally in my bench vice, secured the speedo using its frame clamp to it. Then tightened the wood clamp onto the strongest part of the bezel - curved section rich at the glass above the portion affixed to the body - and then lightly tapped upward easing the bezel off.

Peter, that is an excellent idea, with an excellent description of making the tool. I think that's the way I'll go, and even if I only use it the once, it'll be OK.

I've had trouble uploading photos as well, my problem being they are too large.

Thread Information