Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Ebay seller?

Smart Ebay seller?

I think this character has the right idea in his listings on Ebay... he puts both Harley and Indian in the description so that his parts show up if you do a search for either one of those. It used to bug me when I saw a listing like that believing that the seller didn't have a clue, but he's simply understanding there's plenty of crossover between classic Harley owners and Indian owners... especially important since Ebay removed the ability to search for American parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-50-Harl...sories&vxp=mtr
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

Re: Smart Ebay seller?

I never thought it was a "mistake," Pisten. I always thought it was dishonest, and makes many, many people with absolutely NO interest in the other brand open a listing to find it has nothing at all to do with their search. No skin off the seller's nose, but a big inconvenience for someone who is looking for a specific item. Same with people who list every part the offer as for "Flathead, Knucklehead, Panhead 45 Sportster and Shovelhead'" just to get more hits, 99 percent of them disappointed. I dismiss sellers like that, so it works the opposite on me. Just sayin'.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I never thought it was a "mistake," Pisten. I always thought it was dishonest, and makes many, many people with absolutely NO interest in the other brand open a listing to find it has nothing at all to do with their search. No skin off the seller's nose, but a big inconvenience for someone who is looking for a specific item. Same with people who list every part the offer as for "Flathead, Knucklehead, Panhead 45 Sportster and Shovelhead'" just to get more hits, 99 percent of them disappointed. I dismiss sellers like that, so it works the opposite on me. Just sayin'.
    What is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I'm with you on this Sarge. It pisses me off to open something and find it isn't a knucklehead part but a shovelhead part. Tell it like it is or f*** off.

I really don’t know why that upsets folks; I do it now because ebay changed their listing groups. And a lot of folks have more than one model bike & maybe the part that’s listed is better then what they have (in case they want to upgrade). As a seller you have to be able to adapt or you’d be left behind with the ”I remember what that cost back in the 1970’s crowd”
    Dave
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

I don't find it offensive at all. And I look on there daily for bits I need, and regularly find stuff, and most often at good prices. If little stuff like that aggravates you, you might need a new hobby!
    Robbie

And why don't you **** off, Robbie?

I'm not casually perusing every sale when I'm looking for a specific item for a specific bike, and it's annoying to open some title that's listed "Flathead Knucklehead Panhead Shovelhead 45" and find some mox-nix little 45-specific part nothing like what I'm looking for. So I write off that seller as not knowing whathehell he really has, or who is too lazy to make an ad for what he sells and just lists everything the same.

I'm not expecting parts to sell for what they did in the '70s, but I know that most of the 'barn find' stuff that goes on sale is bought for a tiny fraction of what the opportunistic gougers ask today, just jacking up their price "cuz they can." Hell, I still give stuff away to people who need it.
    Last edited by Sarge; 08-18-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Sarge, your gettin slow in your old age. Your last two comments are just plain ignorant.

If your looking for a SPECIFIC Harley flathead part (i.e. a set of big flatty pistons to replace the ones you burnt up), type it in by the name of the part. I'm sure you won't find any Indian or Shovelhead parts "mixed" in. Try it. Search "Harley ULH piston"........2 results.....both accurate. Now, if you're looking for those same pistons, and you just type in "Harley flathead"....well no shit you're going to be bogged down with all sorts of stuff, including shovel, knuckle, pan, blah blah blah. Its the specifics that matter in your search...i.e. "ULH Piston"

Now, for those of us that are "perusing" the-bay just to see whats out there.....its kind of nice when sellers list with the "flathead knucklehead panhead, etc, etc method". Sometimes, we don't know what we're looking for.

And I don't know how many times we have to tell your old ass........ebay is a system where the BUYER sets the price. The "opportunistic gougers" need not "ask" a certain amount for a part. It'll bring what its worth. If they ask too high a price (buy it now or opening bid) it just won't sell. Simple as that.

I'm sure we'd all give a part away to someone in need, but I sure as hell aint giving all my parts way. Hell, who knows.....if someone offered me top dollar for something....I might just take it.
    Last edited by MattWalksler; 08-18-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Matt Walksler

'38 Knucklehead -- '39 WLDD
    '41 ULH -- '53 Panhead
    '16 J-model Cutdown (in progress) -- '49 Dual-Carb Panhead (in progress)

I just look at the pictures........

Didn't mean to start a scuffle, but I bought a fender lamp last year that was listed as Harley but aside from the base (which I didn't need) it was the same as an Indian fender lamp. If I hadn't been cruising Harley parts while looking for Indian parts then I wouldn't have found it. That's all
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

Thread Information