Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Vintage" Experience

The "Vintage" Experience

Curious what others here think about the "vintage" experience as it pertains to their old motorsickle. And I guess I mean how far is acceptable for you when adding modern conveniences to enhance the safety and reliability of your bike.

Obviously tires are something to consider. Go with a vintage tread or something more modern. Belt drive? Electronic ignition? Disc brakes? Sealed batteries? The list goes on. Personally I'm a big fan of the SLA battery but I'm happy with a chain primary and don't think I'd change it. At the same time I can certainly see the advantages as my "45" had one.

Anyhoo, I'm curious what the troops here think and, first and formost, this is not a contest to see who's the most anal purist as we probably already know who that is.

This is all about having fun with your motorcycle and doing whatever YOU think is right.......

Re: The "Vintage" Experience

I will go as far as to put some repop parts on my vintage restorations, until the time i can find the original part to replace it with. As far as modern brakes, belt drives, etc., thats what Evo's are for. The daily rider. I dont like the look of modern parts on a vintage bike, it ruins the look for me. Right or wrong, thats me.
    1940 HARLEY DAVIDSON WLA
    1940 HARLEY DAVIDSON G SERVICAR
    1955 2 DOOR CHEVY BELAIR
    1993 FULL SIZE FORD BRONCO
    1997 HARLEY DAVIDSON HERITAGE SOFTAIL

Seeing how my bike was assembled from parts, I'm happy with the front disk brake, belt primary and electric start. I might not feel that way if it was an original engine and frame bike. I always get questions regarding the originality and I always come clean and admit it isn't original. I do not however point out the repopped stuff. I let them figure it out.
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '50 Indian Chief
    '64 FL
    Nothing else of any significance

Hey Fabe, dont get me wrong. If i had the 64 pan, i would install the magic button too!
    1940 HARLEY DAVIDSON WLA
    1940 HARLEY DAVIDSON G SERVICAR
    1955 2 DOOR CHEVY BELAIR
    1993 FULL SIZE FORD BRONCO
    1997 HARLEY DAVIDSON HERITAGE SOFTAIL

Kick starting isn't that difficult, specially on a stock motor. I like it..
    64 Duo-Glide

I only have one bike, my 57 pan,had it for 40 years. I did a complete overhaul motor,trany,paint leather. I don't see no near sell in my future so when i did everything i went for upgrade to make it a nice dependable driver and i will make one more coast to coast trip with it. (did three over the years) so...i put in electronic ignition (malory) jims oil pump,cycle electric gen /reg, 12v,rivera beltdrive, i weigh out the cost of ..chrome the part or buy repop..some got chrome some repop. I'm not going to put the bike in any shows . I'm not into the who's got the better one. I don't tell any body that thats not right, or why the hell did you do that, if he rides hes ok in my book.i have all the parts that i took off,nothing was cut off frame or welded to it,the next guy can repaint and restore very easily.it still looks like and old one but with a new look. ( kinda like the wife) that's how i roll

I want function over history. What's old and work I keep. I try to keep it all, cause most do the old set up for ignition work excellently when set up right. With that said, my bike is far from correct, I like dual disc up front, chain primary is fine and don't see the need for electric ignition for one reason. When it breaks your stuck. With points, condenser an mag, there are repairs and band aids that can be used to keep you going. As far as electric start, yeah it's great, but I figure if someone 51 years ago could ride it as is so can I. Tires definitely new tread. I like to ride not slide, been there done that, didn't like. I'll slowly fnd parts and return but it might take 20 years or I may never finish, won't bother me. As Long as I can ride.
    1961 XLCH
    2010 XL883N

No purist in my house! Not enough dough. 1940 knuckle. Electronic ignition, fantastic starting as opposed to points on previously owned panhead. 12 volt electrics. I just think that's better than 6V. Belt drive primary, undercover, quiet and smooth. S&S oil pump, builders preference. Avon tires, my preference.
    Still sticking with the mechanical brakes, they are terrible, but I was always a little 'ashamed' of the disc brakes on the pan. I just try to plan way ahead, and use gears. Keeping the tank shift, works perfectly, why change that? Keeping the oil leaks too.
    Not too much correct about my machine, but it's mine!

Ah yes, the vintage experience! To me it is all about reliving the machines as they were designed, good or bad. I generally use the best internal components I can get, use lighter stronger material where available, and make the mechanical components the best they can be WITHOUT CHANGING DESIGN OR APPEARANCE! I ride modern motorcycles for a modern experience, no need to try to make a vintage bike into a modern one, you only end up with the worst of both worlds!. So no disc brakes, 12 Volts, electric starts, or any other updates along those lines for me. Even on a period custom I will only use period accessories and techniques. I will use belt primaries and the best chains I can get. Tires are important, but most modern tires, even repop treads patterns, will outperform the old machines abilities and are far better than anything that was original equipment on them.
    So I say enjoy them for what they are. And keep it real...
    Robbie

I’ve spent a life time collecting orig. Parts, it’s too late in the game to change now.
    Dave

"Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

Thread Information