Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ironhead rocker covers

1. ironhead rocker covers

mine have leaked, but now me thinks that the torque is insuffucuent in the manual, when i tighten down more than spec it seems to seal better, what say da experts

Re: ironhead rocker covers

Never had a problem in that area. Let us know whatcha figure out. Happy trails!

I think a lot of people make the mistake of tightening to spec one time. You need to repeat every 15 minutes or so until you get the gasket compressed enough to hold the torque spec.

4. Re: ironhead rocker covers

Quote Originally Posted by amklyde View Post
    I think a lot of people make the mistake of tightening to spec one time. You need to repeat every 15 minutes or so until you get the gasket compressed enough to hold the torque spec.
    first time I've heard that one, thanx

Retorquing? pretty common....run it, warm it up, then recheck Torgue....I seldom bother though, because I seldom use a torgque wrench....feel works just fine for me...

6. Re: ironhead rocker covers

Quote Originally Posted by skyrider View Post
    Retorquing? pretty common....run it, warm it up, then recheck Torgue....I seldom bother though, because I seldom use a torgque wrench....feel works just fine for me...
    yes I retorque but not every 15 minutes

I torque mine to factory specs once , then retorque at 500 miles along with the head. Never leak a drop, including riding 6,000 miles of mostly hot outback roads on a vacation trip.
    But I do file the surfaces flat first, use James gaskets and never use any kind of sealant on them.

A little trick that I do an all my gaskets except for head gasket is that I coat them with axle grease,they not only seal well but unless the gasket rips I never have to change them.They rarely stick and they never dry out

9. Re: ironhead rocker covers

I'm getting ready to change mine soon so here's my question: sealant or no sealant?

In general, the answer is usually no for paper gaskets because they are so thickness sensitive. Rubber gaskets obviously don't need sealant and cork gaskets don't because it can sometimes eat away the cork causing leaks (maybe just a dab to keep it in place but otherwise no).

Probably best to follow the instructions that come with the gaskets. Anyone else have experience specific to the rocker cover gaskets?

10. Re: ironhead rocker covers

I'm gonna try gaskacintch, and gonna try these as well, I had a problem before because of the covers being chromed and the cover surface was uneven
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/360460752109...#ht_500wt_1202
    I'm also guessing torque would not be and issue with these
    ps, there is some dickhead selling "Kevlar" gaskets on Ebay, this is BS, I've seen notebook paper tougher

Thread Information