Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '47 45" wl build

1. '47 45" wl build

I would like to reach out to you folks for some help with my engine build. I refered to Mr. Palmers book on the oiling and breather system for the 45" engine, and after several readings, I have a good idea how things work.
    I'm in the process of ordering some last minute parts before I install the gear case cover, however, I have a few questions for the people with more experience than I have.

Is there a way to test the flutter valve to see if it functions properly before I install the gear cover?

It looks like the pin that secures the oil screen is secured with a punch or something. Any recomendations on how to get at the pin, I would like to clean the passage between the screen and the scavenger pump.

I do not have a generator yet. I am going with a 12 volt system when the time comes.
    Look at the condition of the breather seal ring. What would cause the ring to end up with cracks and wear marks? What do I need to look out for when I install a generator?

I welcome any and all advice you may have before I button up the gear case. I feel comfortable installing and timing the scavenger pump before lining up the cam gears but I will post some pics before I do.

I check out this site several times a day and have a great amount of respect for the guys that take the time to help others with this great hobby of ours, Sarge, Robbie, Mr. Tbone and I have to mention Mr. Big, just to name a few. Thanks in advance for all your help.
    1938 Indian Scout
    1947 WL Project
    1954 Servi-car
    2000 Ultra

Re: '47 45" wl build

Harleyjohn,
    The flutter valve is a simple spring loaded affair. You can put a rubber hose up against it and blow / suck on it to see if it opens one direction and is shut the other!
    The pin for the screen is a little tougher. Clean out all of the disturbed material in the end of the hole where it is staked in place. You can use a machinists scraper or even a drill bit the proper size. I have had success in warming up the case and then knocking it against a block of wood allowing the pin to drop out.
    The seal ring wear marks are normal as it rides up against the oil/air separator on the generator gear. The cracks are odd and likely began from the initial stamping of the part. They may continue, they may not. If it was mine I would replace it. You don't need a chunk breaking off and floating around in your gear case!
    Robbie

3. Re: '47 45" wl build

Robbie,
    Thanks for the advise. I am going to replace the seal ring just for peace of mind. Is there a trick to removing the pins / stakes that hold the seal in? I believe the new seal comes with new pins.
    I could not get the flutter valve to move, put a couple of drops of Kroil on it and soaked right in, will try later.
    I'll work on the screen today.
    Any other advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again.
    John
    1938 Indian Scout
    1947 WL Project
    1954 Servi-car
    2000 Ultra

4. Re: '47 45" wl build

Had some time to work on the '47 motor today.

I removed the old oil screen and cleaned the passage out. Installed new screen and gasket, I enjoyed lining the pin for the screen.

Next I installed the Scavenger Pump I rebuilt.

And timed it per my manual and Mr. Palmer's book. Pinion gear 5'16" from the gear case.

I then installed the cams by lining up the timing marks.

I rolled the engine and checked alignment of the marks and pump timing.

I am concearned with the aligment of the front intake timing marks, they dont seem to line up perfectly, it's very close. When I attempt to make an adjustment, nothing lines up.
    I would like to hear from some of the builders out there. I have gained so much from this site and the folks that contribute.
    Next assemble the valve train.
    Thanks for ALL your input. Will report back soon.
    1938 Indian Scout
    1947 WL Project
    1954 Servi-car
    2000 Ultra

Don't worry about the marks. The will not line up perfectly, always a few at a bit of an angle. They are all that way. It has to do with the diameter of the gears being different so they hit at odd angles. As you have found out, if you move them a tooth they are way off! As you very slowly rotate the engine you will see them come into and out of alignment. Just be sure that they come into alignment when moved slightly and you will be fine!
    Robbie
    And that screen looks lots better now!

6. Re: '47 45" wl build

Robbie,
    Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to be sure things look OK in there.

I'm in the market for a 12 volt generator, solid state regulator, clamp and related hardware. I would prefer one that has been rebuilt, tested and ready to go. Are there any reputable folks out there anyone would recomend?

My next big ticket item will be a 3sp with reverse trans, in good shape of course.

Thanks again Robbie and to all that viewed this thread!
    1938 Indian Scout
    1947 WL Project
    1954 Servi-car
    2000 Ultra

HarleyJohn,
    Dale Cashman is the guy to talk to for generators. I don't know if he sells them outright, but he sure knows how to rebuild them.
    (757) 497-0131

Your motor is looking great.

8. Re: '47 45" wl build

Thanks bobdo, I'll give Dale a call.
    I know they come up on Ebay all the time.
    I just never traded on Ebay, too many stories.
    John
    1938 Indian Scout
    1947 WL Project
    1954 Servi-car
    2000 Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by HARLEYJOHN View Post
    Thanks bobdo, I'll give Dale a call.
    I know they come up on Ebay all the time.
    I just never traded on Ebay, too many stories.
    John

I've got just under 500 transaction, only problem I ever had was a buyer with buyers remorse...I offered him a full refund, and even offered to pay shipping back to me, He desided to keep the piece, and quick check of his feedback, showed it was his norm to try and demand refunds....I have never had a single problem buying....

10. Re: '47 45" wl build

Thanks skyrider,
    I watch Ebay daily and use it as a barameter for prices. There were some items listed that I wish I did not pass up. I'm sure one day I'll participate.
    I have purchased parts from members of this forum with great success. My work takes me all over the country, where I have made some good contacts.
    Back to my thread, if anybody knows of a good 3 sp w rev I sure would be intrested in a possible purchase.
    Thanks John.
    1938 Indian Scout
    1947 WL Project
    1954 Servi-car
    2000 Ultra

Thread Information