Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afternoon Ride ends with PRS Deployment

Re: Afternoon Ride ends with PRS Deployment

Well after talking to Mr. Big this afternoon, I thought I had it. I discovered a pinched wire comming off of the bottom of the coil.

I repaired the pinch and got ready to ride. I charged up the battery and hit the button, but no spark at all to the plugs. I'm getting 12V to the top of the coil and through to the bottom. Will someone educate me on how I can test this coil to see if it is fried or good to go. I do have an Ohm meter, but I donot know how to correctly test the ohms on this thing.
    Looks like it time to play the "Switch Back to the Switchback Blues" on that new Guitar.
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '64 FL
    '01 FXDWG2
    '09 FXDL
    '12 FLD

Repaired the wire and changed out the coil. Fired right up like nothing ever happined. Riding it to work tomorrow. Well see how it goes.
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '64 FL
    '01 FXDWG2
    '09 FXDL
    '12 FLD

Please weigh in on this guys. My next challenge is presented in this very poor photograph.

What you are seeing is the front plug (left) and rear plug (right) They are both brand new 3-4's and gapped at .025. I warmed the bike up and then rode for about 100 yards in second gear at a about 2600 to 2800 RPM. Right about the speed that I would normally shift at. Then I shut the bike down, let her cool off an dpulled the plugs. As you can see the front plug is dry but black. The rear plug is dry and light tan. I suspect that the carb is running rich but the rear manifold O-ring has got a leak. It makes sence to my uneducated mind. I'll test for a leak but entertain any other suggestions you may have.
    BTW the bike was running good. No coughing after the initial start up. Good acceleration and steady idle. I also suspect that with proper adjusting, it will run a lot better then it already is.
    Please pass along what you can.

Fabe
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '64 FL
    '01 FXDWG2
    '09 FXDL
    '12 FLD

sounds like testing for a manifold leak is a good place to start. plug on the right looks a little lean but not bad, I like to see the color of cardboard.

Are these the same plugs that were in it with the electrical problem? they may not have had to clear themselves...

fabe, if you need to borrow a pressure tester let me know. i can ship it to you if you want to wait. i have the block off plate for your carb also.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrider View Post
    Are these the same plugs that were in it with the electrical problem? they may not have had to clear themselves...
    They are in fact the same plugs, but they both looked light tan after the bike died from the pinched coil wire. The front plug went dark on my ride after I did the repair work.

Nuklhd. I picked up two new O-rings and a new carb gasket today. I'm going to try the simple spray method tonight and see If the possible leak is obvious enough to find. If it tests positive for a leak I'll change the O-rings and the carb gasket. If it tests negitive then yes I would like to borrow your tester. I'll send you a PM
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '64 FL
    '01 FXDWG2
    '09 FXDL
    '12 FLD

Thread Information