Thread: 47/CAV barebones Chief

47/CAV barebones Chief

After building my 741 37" bobber, it seems like I should start a build thread for my Chief. Seems the guys with only one Indian are on their first........
    Anyway, bought an engine from a guy in Fife, Scotland. Was meant to be 'rebuilt'. It was, but badly, so total strip down called for. Found a Scout driveside race installed with a big washer used to take up the space.....not good.
    Did some work for a guy up the road for Indian parts, and came away with a solid but bent 47 plunger frame. Have been trawling ebay for parts also, and came up with plunger castings and a bent girder. The girder has been tweaked, bearings replaced with bushes, new spindles made, so now the pointy end is loosely assembled.

The plunger castings were more or less bare so a few more parts were needed. A friend who has built a 'Nordian', needed his mag remounted and in return he gave me a set of late plunger springs. Ebay provided a pair of rods which turned out to be early so they were swapped for later ones. Jurgen Mattern supplied spring retainers so that the plungers could be built. Another small step.

A set of repop tanks came up at a very good price, if they need resoldered, it's still a good price. A friend donated a repop Hd saddle which will do the job....this aint a purist job, I run my bikes.

Quite surprised myself when I loosely assembled the stuff that I had, looked kinda bike shaped!

Next job is to build the tranny up with a mix of new n repop stuff.
    More as it happens.........or later
    Last edited by indianscot; 04-17-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Re: 47/CAV barebones Chief

Excellent...! We all love a good 'build' thread...! Thanks for showing what you got going there..! Keep it coming..!
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Wee update on the Chief. Spent a day in the shed working on the Scout and the Chief. She now has a rolling chassis, and looks like a bike.

i have been gathering bits and pieces for my 47' build , i have most of it now and will start it soon. but first i have to build "the wigwam". i just got the stone delivery for the slab.are you guys bored with garage build threads ? if not, i'll consider starting a thread .sorry for the hijack scot .i have duplicate parts for my 47 build , are you lacking stuff? if so give me a shout mabey i can help.
    GIVE NO QUARTER!!

Quote Originally Posted by CHEIFRIDER View Post
    i have been gathering bits and pieces for my 47' build , i have most of it now and will start it soon. but first i have to build "the wigwam". i just got the stone delivery for the slab.are you guys bored with garage build threads ? if not, i'll consider starting a thread .sorry for the hijack scot .i have duplicate parts for my 47 build , are you lacking stuff? if so give me a shout mabey i can help.
    Good luck with the Wigwam. Bike needs a good home. If you need any garage equipment let me know. I usually have air compressors and motorcycle lifts in stock and other equipment.
    1934 Chief project
    1941 Chief
    (2) 1941 Sport Scout projects
    1941 Four
    1946 Chief
    1947 Chief project
    1948 Chief project
    1949 mod 149 Arrow
    1949 mod 249 Scout
    1951 mod 251 Warrior project
    1953 Chief
    1958 Indian badged Royal Enfield Patrol.
    1960 G12 Matchless
    2002 FLHT Harley
    1930 Indian 101 Scout
    1946 Chief with sidecar
    1980 Honda CBX 1000
    1975 Honda Gold Wing

Thanks for the offer Chiefrider. Got most of the big bits, it's just the little bits. All the fun o the partstack..

indianscot, i like those rims(rest of it also). are those stock, if not what did you use?

Hi nuklhd. The hubs are T140 front and rear. They are 4 bolters for disc brakes. Plan is to use TR65T/TR7T drums, one on the back and possibly 1 each side at the front, linked via a balance bar/cable setup. Have been told they fit disc hubs, but haven't tried em yet. Rims are 3.00 x 16" Borrani cross flanged rims. I run Borranis on my Scout as well.
    Indi
    Last edited by indianscot; 07-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Was hoping to get the motor lower end done next week, but after doing an oiling mod, (drilling 4 holes from crankcase to behind the cam followers), test assembled cases to find that the decks are uneven. Only 6 thou but it is out. These cases have been in a running motor, some damage marks go accross both halves, so not sure if it's an original mismatch during the war or a later replacement half. Who knows? Long time since 1940. Have had to do a couple of small welded repairs to them but nothing major, just usual front mount and a crack across the base from sump valve to joint. Bit of a delay but nowt to worry about. Still aiming for noises by the new year hopefully. Hope to be on road next summer. If you don't have a deadline, it won't happen.......

Thread Information