Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '69 - '71 style right hand side front drum brake question ?

'69 - '71 style right hand side front drum brake question ?

Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
    Concerning the front brake, are you talking about the one on your Panhead? If so, here’s what I said in one of your threads on HTT in July last year: ‘The Glide front drum brake was on the right-hand side for 1969–1971.’ And I haven’t changed my mind. The two pictures below are from The Legend Begins and you’ll notice the 1969 model has its front brake on the right-hand side but the 1968 model has its front brake on the left. Eric

Quite a while back I asked about the right hand side front drum brake on my '61 & was told that style front end was used from
    '69-'71. NOT saying the information was incorrect, however the other day while I had the front end apart I saw a -67 casting number stamped inside my drum. Why would there be a -67 casting number there if this part was not put into use until the 1969 model year ? Just curious & trying to learn.
    Last edited by TimmyV; 04-11-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Re: '69 - '71 style right hand side front drum brake question ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    TimmyV,
    All '61s had a dual point distributor. The factory however did not mark the flywheels for the rear timing mark until late season. That meant that all the earlier ones merely had the same style flywheels as '60 and earlier models with only the front cylinder mark. That made them very difficult to time correctly. If yours does not have dual points it has been changed at some point (no pun intended) in its life. I had a customer once with an early '61 with no mark. He and his buddies were also amateur tuners. so approximately once a month he would come see me because they had been fooling around and screwed up the timing. I had a special gauge I had made to determine the piston position on the rear cylinder and would set it all for him. He would leave thrilled and be fine until his pals decided to tune it up for him. With the factory mark it is easy to set. And that front end came out in '68 with the right side brake.Robbie
    On the other hand, I have also been told that this style front end started in '68...that could possibly explain the -67 casting number stamped inside my drum. Or perhaps Robbie meant that this style came out in 1968 for the '69 model year...I dunno.

* bottom line is : I don't really know the answer & would like to clear this up, one way or the other. Just for the sake of learning...not trying to pit anyone against anyone here.
    Last edited by TimmyV; 04-11-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: clarification

Timmy,
    the '67 casting number was used to designate the new drum which fit the new hub as used from '67 on with the bearings in the drum (regardless of which side the brake was on!). As you note I was unclear in my message that the front end switched sides in '68 for the new '69 model year. Sorry for the confusion.
    Robbie

Tim, I can’t see the 68 Legend picture so I’ve posted a Harley ad below from that year for everyone’s future reference:

Something else to watch for with the FL-style Glide front drum brake is the location of the cable. Originally the cable ran behind the lower fork leg regardless of whether the brake was on the left side (49-68) or the right-hand side (69-71). But sometimes you’ll see the cable in front of the lower leg because someone swapped the brake assembly and fork leg etc to the other side of the bike. This happened with the second of the Billy bikes in Easy Rider as demonstrated in the colour photo below.

Even though the bike at below left doesn’t have the upper portion of the cable following factory routing, the lower section of cable is behind the left slider. The Billy bike at below right also has a left-hand brake assembly etc but it has been mounted to the right-hand side of the bike and therefore the cable is in front of the slider.
    Eric

Thanks for the feedback Eric. Never noticed the difference between the 2 Billy bikes before.

Cheers, Tim. There are several other differences between the two Billy bikes, including but not limited to, the following:
    1. Billy 1 clutch cable runs between the fork legs and appears unsecured but Billy 2 clutch cable is outside the left fork leg and appears to be secured by white tape.
    2. Billy 1 appears to have a steering damper but Billy 2 has no damper knob showing.
    3. Billy 1 frame has no tab under the stress bar to accommodate a carb cable clamp but Billy 2 appears to have the tab.
    4. Billy 1 clutch booster (mousetrap) appears plated but Billy 2 clutch booster does not.
    5. Billy 1 frame has a horn in front of the front downtubes but I cannot see a horn there on Billy 2 frame.
    6. Billy 1 has passenger footpegs but I see no passenger pegs on Billy 2.
    7. Billy 1 has a numberplate and taillight together on the right-hand side but Billy 2 does not.
    8. Billy 1 has a chainguard but Billy 2 has none.

First photo below is Billy 1 and second photo is Billy 2.
    Eric

Interesting..........

Back to the topic, if it's okay.....

What year did the two 'nubbins' appear on the wheel side of the HydraGlide brake drum? Anybody know?
    The earliest brake drums didn't have them, so when did they appear?
    I'm talking about the two nubbins at the outside edge, diametrically opposed to each other.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

"Another thing I noticed in my assortment of drums, I have one that is a -67 drum (has the bushing for the 'half-star') and I also have another one identical to that one, except it has been machined to work as a '48 drum, the entire inner bushing is gone, machined right out of there..! LOL Funny, I never noticed that before...."

The other day BigIncher & I were discussing this in a PM & this is one of his comments.

With what Robbie had to say I now wonder if that one -67 drum BigIncher referred to was originally designed to work on the 49-68 style front end, rather than being a "custom modified" piece ? Please pardon my ignorance on the subject, however I have never had a 49-68 front drum brake in my hands nor have I looked at the factory diagram. I have the factory service manual at home for '59-'69 FL models , just never really looked at it for this information as at the present time it does not apply to my motorcycle as it sits.

I have wondered what those two "nubbins" on the brake drum that BigIncher referred to were for anyways ?

I appreciate all the discussion about this...I've really found it very interesting. Nice to talk about old motorcycles rather than reading about folks bitchin' about what parts cost ! lol.
    Last edited by TimmyV; 04-13-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: additional question

I'll get some photos up here a little later, Timmy.
    The 'modified' drum I mentioned is definitely modified, not factory..! It has a -67 number, if I remember.
    I've got some good examples of each, I can show in photos....
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Good deal BigIncher !! Looking forward to seeing the pix.

Thread Information