Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spark plugs

spark plugs

Just wondering if this is true or not. I've got a 79 shovel that is running points and was told I shouldn't run resistor type spark plugs in it. Is this correct?

Its seems to be harder to find non resistor plugs these days at the local FLAPS but seen as how I'm in the land of NGK I might try to hunt some down.

Re: spark plugs

I don't know about your bike, but resistor plugs do reduce spark intensity(for older ignition, some bikes barely run at all) look for some cross references...ie autolite 216 is HD4, but I've had better luck with Champions(I know cheap of the cheap)
    Was stirbt mich nicht, macht mich staerker!

1961 XLCH
    2010 XL883N

Use Bosch.

Champion 12JYC

5. Re: spark plugs

AutoLite 75 is the non-resistor equiv of the J12YC Champion. AutoLite 76 is equiv to Champion J14YC. NGK does not make non resistor plugs and i have not been able to find a Bosch either (although if a Bosch non-resistor equiv is made i would be interested in the part no. ?) Currently Champion J12YC is the only non-resistor plug still being produced and readily available that i'm aware of. Most of the cross reference charts list newer resistor plugs as equiv replacements and don't make it clear that the newer equiv is actually resistor type when the older ones were not. If your in doubt take along an ohm meter and check it . Non-resistor plugs measure a few ohms of resistance across the center electrode whereas resistor plugs usually measure around 25K ohms or more.

Thanks for all the replies.

I did find the NGK non resistor which is a B6HS I'll see if I can locate some here if not I'll have to order the Champions from the states.

I really don't want to pay the Harley Dealer what he wants for some that say HD on them approx $22 for a pair with the current exchange rate.

7. Re: spark plugs

FROM Amazon.com: NGK (7534) B6HS Standard Spark Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive. ... This Spark plug has resistor that is produced with a glass and carbon mixture, ...

Thats odd sparkplugs.com list it as the proper plug for Early Shovels w/points
    This is the specs they list :Traditional Spark Plug, 14mm Thread Size, 12.7mm (1/2") Reach, 13/16" (20.6mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Non-Resistor, Removable Terminal Nut, .028" (0.7mm) Gap, Heat Range 6

Not doubting the info you got but seems funny to me that amazon would list it that way when I've found sparkplugs.com to be accurate in the past when trying to locate and identify odd plugs.

Just shows that you can ask the same question and get many different answers from many different places.

The cross reference below shows that the BOSCH is obsolete being replaced with the resistor type.
    http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cr...ManID=15&mfid=
    Last edited by top-asmc; 04-23-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added link

points need 5-ohm coil, non resistor wires, non resistor plugs--Champion j12yc is the short reach plug for earlier shovel,rn12yc is the long reach plug for '75 and later shovel- resistor for original electronic ignition in '79. you need n12yc ---long reach/ non resistor
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 04-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thread Information