Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 65 Panhead Police bike (tank shift)

Re: 65 Panhead Police bike (tank shift)

[QUOTE=Kansasplowboy;107966]Anyone got a close up of the frame mounted shifter on the BT Police bikes? Would be interesting to see. I as well thought The Motor Co. stopped making handshift models before 79.[/QU
    I started a new thread under 'general motorcycle discussion' that has a picture of mine. not very close up on the shifter, but maybe worth a look

2. Re: 65 Panhead Police bike (tank shift)

Here is a pic of one of my 65's with Tank shift.
    Panhead 080.jpgPanhead 098.jpg

3. Re: 65 Panhead Police bike (tank shift)

Hello
    This weekend I purchased a 65 EG basket case which included a handshift tank set. I think that these look very similar to 48 and on Panhead tanks with hand shift with the differance that these fits the 63-65 tank logo. The shifter guide 33789-47 and handle 33789-47 is like the one I use on my 47 Knucklehead I think, right? On the gear box a special hand shifter cover is used. (without the footshift ratchet) For the foot clutch, the pedal 36811-41 is the one used from mid 46 on and the bracket 36842-41 I believe, right?

Pictures of civilian 65 Electra Glide with hand shift seems rare and hard to find.
    Question: has any of the Forum members some good pictures of handshift 65 EG in their possession? (also pictures of hand shift Police bikes are welcome)
    Remarkable is that the striping of the civilian painted tanks are different for hand shift and foot shift (foot shift: stripe on tank is under the logo/ handshift the stripe is above the logo) The evidence that I have of civilian hand shift bikes are from pictures of bikes from Peru and former Persia (now Iran). I understood that footshift was standard and handshift was optional in 65; may-be hand shift bikes were mainly exported for govermental use abroad or used for Police bikes in the US, right?
    Question: has any of the forum members the dimensions of the striping on the tanks (model/ template) for me (for handshift and footshift) (or detailed pictures)?

the pedal 36811-41 is the one used from mid 46 on and the bracket 36842-41 I believe, right?
    New for '65 was a different pedal #36811-65 that had a square extension on the pivot shaft where a bracket bolted and allowed the clutch rod to sit inboard of the pedal assembly so that the rod cleared the started solenoid. The clutch arm on the transmission was also different, shorter with a different "S" shape to it. the clutch bracket was also mounted on spacers to get it out past the inner primary.

The clutch pedal assembly sold by V-Twin is this later version with the square extension which I ended up using on my '66 as I could not find an original. The jockey top is also different from the earlier ones in that it has a provision for the neutral safety light.
    On this topic, should the clutch pedal assembly, both bracket and pedal, be parkerized or painted or cadmium plated? For both '65 and '66?
    Lonnie C.

Come join us at the Fifth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet, May 16 - 18, 2014 at Denton FarmPark, Denton N.C. Our theme this year is "Race Bikes".

For visitor or vendor information, visit us on the Web at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevils39 View Post
    Here is a pic of one of my 65's with Tank shift.
    Panhead 080.jpgPanhead 098.jpg
    Does the shift gate on your 65 have the notches or is without the notches where the shift lever rests after shifting into each gear?

Quote Originally Posted by ricmoran View Post
    Does the shift gate on your 65 have the notches or is without the notches where the shift lever rests after shifting into each gear?
    The '65 had the notched shift gate.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

8. Re: 65 Panhead Police bike (tank shift)

Hello
    Thanks guys, very helpful information
    - the shift gate I have, has indeed notches
    - there is a clutch footpedal and bracket in the pile, I still have to check if it has the square extension that is mentioned
    - the hand shift transmission top that I have has indeed two threaded holes (one for the spring and lock ball and the other for the neutral switch)
    - I still need some help with the striping on the hand shift tanks, Ricmoran, do you own the bike on the pictures? Is it possible for you to make templates of both tank halfs for me? (or submit detailed dimensions) Do you visit the Davenport meet in August? Because I will.

Thread Information