Thread: ABATE swap meet at Monroe.....

ABATE swap meet at Monroe.....

Yesterday was the Spring Opener ABATE swap meet up in Monroe. I didn't really have anything on my can't-live-without list, but I always like to go to this swap meet, and see what I can see....
    It's probably about the best swap meet around here.....

I found a few things that once in my hands, I couldn't put back on the table, for the price.....

Got everything in the photo, including the vice, for right around $300.......

Also ran into MoonWolf and 2VLs..... good to see you guys again...!

Oh..... the Linkert? It's complete (less gas strainer) and has the -55 manifold attached. Paid $90 for it. I had it in my hands, and another friend of mine happened to step in beside me, and we were looking at the carb.
    I said... "Man, I really don't need another M74B"....
    He got a serious look on his face and said.. "You can't have too many Linkerts."

I looked him in the eyes, and said...

"Yeah, you're right...!"
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Re: ABATE swap meet at Monroe.....

Pretty darn good for 3 bills. A few week back at a local swap here, a guy wanted $150. for an extremly poor condition steering dampner. I was feeling nice and offered him $100. and he look at me like I had just insulted his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by ohio-rider View Post
    ............. I was feeling nice and offered him $100. and he look at me like I had just insulted his wife.
    The nice thing about the Monroe meet is that it's still a swap meet with "swap meet mentality".... by that I mean, all the sellers are willing to dicker---actually expect it...! They don't want to load the shit back up and take it home. None of them had crazy 'eBay prices'--- and if they did, they wouldn't sell a damned thing....!

It's a good meet--- by bikers for bikers, if that makes any sense..!
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    Yesterday was the Spring Opener ABATE swap meet up in Monroe. I didn't really have anything on my can't-live-without list, but I always like to go to this swap meet, and see what I can see....
    It's probably about the best swap meet around here.....

I found a few things that once in my hands, I couldn't put back on the table, for the price.....

Got everything in the photo, including the vice, for right around $300.......

Also ran into MoonWolf and 2VLs..... good to see you guys again...!

Oh..... the Linkert? It's complete (less gas strainer) and has the -55 manifold attached. Paid $90 for it. I had it in my hands, and another friend of mine happened to step in beside me, and we were looking at the carb.
    I said... "Man, I really don't need another M74B"....
    He got a serious look on his face and said.. "You can't have too many Linkerts."

I looked him in the eyes, and said...

"Yeah, you're right...!"
    Looks like a super group of parts Big!! I like the vice.
    A poor boy plays by poor boy ways

This last one I went to use to be just as you described the one in Monroe. Lots of local guys who ended up at the end of winter with extra parts they had from the year before, and all getting together to actually swap parts, or maybe even go home with some money in their pockets.

This year I had a hard time finding anyone I had ever seen before vending. 80% of the vendors there drove in with thirty some foot trailers all deck out to do business and they weren’t dealing. They also weren’t selling much, except to the” bar hopping chrome crowd”.

Swap meets used to be good for everybody. The little guys would all come in with their parts and what every parts were left at the end of the day, some big money guy would come thru and buy most everyone out at a discounted price. If the average Joe offered a guy more than he knew he would get at the end of the day to the big money guy, the little guy got a deal. Now days, the big money guys aren’t just buying anything they can get their hand on, once the local guys had to start hauling stuff home after a meet, they quit coming to swaps and are making a killing on e-bay.

Nice to see Big and his lady at the meet. He was packin' that set of nice panhead rockers and a big smile. Weather was sunny for a change and lots of folks arrived on two wheels. The crowd of vendors seemed a bit lighter than in the past, and real ancient stuff (like for my VLs) was invisible. (No doubt traded between vendors as they set up.)

I did see someone rolling out a clean original Yamaha RD 400 two-stroke twin, but I didn't notice the price. One thing I look for at these Harley-heavy meets is non-Harley stuff. But not much this year.

Your next Northwest swap opportunities come up April 28 in Mount Vernon at the Washington Vintage Motorcyclists (AMCA) meet, and April 29 in Tsawassen, British Columbia. I am surely biased (it's my club) but I think the Mount Vernon event is the best around here. Here's a link to more information:

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...pril-28-and-29

Walt
    32V4191
    Walt
    Everwett, Washington

Thread Information