Thread: 6" Filter Assembly & M5 carb -adjustments

6" Filter Assembly & M5 carb -adjustments

Got rid of the air hron because I was having problems with the right filter element material. Was shown the matrial used from a HD Sprint for the air horn, but I thought, hey, the 6" filter system will allow better breathing. It does and th ebike runs pretty good with the 6" filter assembly.

However, the backing plate is so close the the low/high speed adjustment setting screws that if I want to fine tune the bike wihile riding it it is impossible to get my fingers onto the adjustment screws.

I have a little bit of rough running at the mid range area, where the system goes from low speed to high speed, or at least I think I do.

So while working to see if that can be smoothed out more, I have to remove the 6" air filter system to adjust the screws and then re-aasemble the filter and backing plate.

I think also because of this, the adjustment is somewhat out a tad as whent he filter assembly is mounted the air flow is restriced enough to make the system be out of adjustment, thus the uneven engine running at 25 - 30 MPH or the sweet spot of riding in everyday traffic.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking of making a spacer to push the backing plate out about 1/2" -3/4" from the carb body as I think that would help and the filter cover would not be a nusiance on the leg as 1/2" - 3/4" is not much.

If anyone has had to contend with this, what did you do to make it easier to work with the low/high speed adjustments on a similar system without taking everything apart?
    Last edited by ricmoran; 03-20-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Thread Information