Thread: Aging 37' Decals?

1. Aging 37' Decals?

I am starting to put my 37' 45" together and 95% of my parts have nice, old aged black paint... I really would like to keep everything old paint and finish... The tanks have been repainted years and years ago and have a very nice patina. I think it would look cool with a set of he 36-39 waterslide decals with a little age. I thought about maybe some sanding or hard buffing. Any suggestions on how to put some nice "fake" age on a decal?

Re: Aging 37' Decals?

lol......no ideas here but why would you want anything "fake" on a nice old bike?it is what it is ( .02 here) tom
    GIVE NO QUARTER!!

3. Re: Aging 37' Decals?

I thought the same thing, It would be nice to find a set of tanks with decals still on. I figured things like the decals and tires aren't big items... It would look silly with new decals on it. Might just keep it bare black.

Put the decals on your tanks now and lay them in the sunny spot out in the back yard for a few months.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

That's a difficult line. Personally, I think its fine to "fake" patina a part on a bike to match the overall age of a bike as long as your honest about it. Otherwise a part will just look out of place & "glow". Some people think its misleading & maybe even counterfeit. My advice on trying to speed up the age process is to do just that. Ya, the sun has a lot to do with it, but I think its also years of cleaning & rubbing. Try sitting down with a beer or three & rubbing the applied transfer with a cloth & polishing compound. I can't say how well it will work 'cuz I haven't done it. But, sneak up on it with the very fine stuff first, the swirl mark remover. If that takes too long try the polishing compound. Good luck & let us know if it works.

6. Re: Aging 37' Decals?

Thanks for all the help. I think for now I will just leave them as they are, but I have a new question. I just applied both waterslide decals to the old black paint and they look great, but I totally forgot they need to be cleared/sealed to the tank so they don't wipe off... I was told to try clear with flattner, but i really hate to paint clear over that old black paint. Any options to keep that old paint and still clear the decal?

bluedevils, what are you going to use for the clear? the fellow i got my water slides from says he has best results with min wax polyurethane gloss. if you only clear an 1/8" or so over the decal edges it mite not be real noticable.
    edit- did you have any probs getting them to slide off the paper?

8. Re: Aging 37' Decals?

I have no idea what clear to use. I planned on just having a paint shop do it. If I could find something in aerosol I wouldn't even mind using that, im not real picky about finish... I bought the decals from a gentlemen at the Oley meet. They were also making nice replica 1914-39 footboard pads... The decals came off very nice. I have had some other patent decals and other waterslides break apart before they even touched the tanks... I was impressed with the decals.

bluedevil, i had mentioned to the guy about using a spray clear like a rattle can product. i cant remember what they have(chemical) in them but the decal will react to it and ruin them. i havnt used it yet but i went with his suggestion and boght a 1/2 pint of the gloss poly min-wax. he said to brush it on lightly from the middle to the edges and just have an 1/8 to 1/4" over on the edges. hope this helps some. he sells them and puts them on his tanks so i figured i'd go with his suggestion.
    edit- blue, i remember now that he said a laquer based products will f up the decal
    Last edited by nuklhd; 04-29-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Check out the post by Matt McManus in the 36-65 Harley section. The post is "finally got my 38 running". I would post the link but I am on my iPad and I am just learning how to use it. Anyway he had to match the old finish on his front fender and one side of the gas tank (including decal). I have not seen it in person but in the pictures it looks perfect (or perfectly imperfect)

Joe

Thread Information