Thread: How To Fill A Custom Oil Tank

1. How To Fill A Custom Oil Tank

I got a 80 thosand CC Ironhead chopper with a homemade stainless steel oil tank. The tank has three fittings. One above the bottom to feed the oil pump, one close to the top for the oil return, and another one next to the top for a vent. When mounted in the frame the tank angles a bit putting the return fitting a little below the vent. I just need to know how to fill the tank. How far below the vent must it be? Must the oil level be below the return fitting?

Re: How To Fill A Custom Oil Tank

Just under.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

80,000 cc?, must be a fast one !
    GIVE NO QUARTER!!

A little grammar faux pas, I think, but give no quarter! > I saw that, then I re-read it as a "1980, 1,000cc, Ironhead Sportster", but it took a second to sink in. It's called "syntax," and accepted convention: what you read is not what you expected to follow. Not everyone majored in the Ingulish Langwitch in school, after all.

Don't let um throw ya, nucklheads. You're new here. Most people here let stuff like that slide, & will tolerate anything we can decode widdout a whole lot of explanation. Otherwise, very few would dare to post anything, if they had to expect to endure a visit from the GRAMMAR POLICE every time they mis-spell a word. Sheesh! Cut the new guy a break, "C-h-e-i-f", will ya?
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

5. Re: How To Fill A Custom Oil Tank

Sorry, I figured that because this covers clasic American iron everyone would automatically know that 80 means 1980 when it comes before Ironhead. There is an old Sportster repair manual called Clymer Harley Davidson Sportster Series 1959-1981. Since my 1980 Sportster is called an Ironhead I think the Clymer manual covers Ironheads. It just doesn't cover 1982 1nd 1983, the last couple of years. The 1,000 CC got thrown in because the engine is that big. Harley sold some of those engines stock in 1980. I'm just trying to learn how high to fill the custom oil tank I use because it isn't the stock one that is supposed to hold 4 quarts.
    Last edited by nucklheads; 03-17-2012 at 06:45 PM.

6. Re: How To Fill A Custom Oil Tank

Through some testing I found out the oil tank doesn't need to be filled any higher than one inch below the vent fitting. That keeps it from over flowing out of the vent at all.

Thread Information