Thread: OxyAcetylene Welding

OxyAcetylene Welding

This is for axeric. I'm just learning gas welding. The only tip I can give you is practice, practice, practice. And the correct tip for the thickness of metal you are welding. I have a Victor#2 and a #0. The #2 I used for the rocker pedal was a tad small. I should of used a #3. So I had to get a hotter flame than I really wanted to use for the 3/16" pedal. But it all worked out.

This video is practical for filling holes in sheetmetal. The guy is really laid back. Sounds like a surfer dude. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6HVJHsOGa0

The following video's are good too for the 3 different types of flames. The guy in the video has a nice calm soothing voice for teaching. But he might put you to sleep. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlcS...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVOZp...3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQP8E...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P_Qh...8&feature=plcp

And here's a chart for the possible tips.

http://www.hoopersupply.com/tipchart.html

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by tomcat1; 03-09-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    '47 EL
    '00 FLSTC

But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

You never get better....you just get less awful. "Joe Walsh"

always always always costs more than you think......takes longer.... "GOAT"

Re: OxyAcetylene Welding

Thanks for all the information. You've given me a lot to digest. I have a buzz box for stick welding, but I want something with more finesse and I really like what you did with the parts you posted pictures of. Thanks again.

Eric,
    I have used gas and steel rod for years on small light stuff. It works great, just be gentle with the heat!
    Robbie

5. Re: OxyAcetylene Welding

for sheet metal I use the HENROB 2000, if I remember right the web site is cutslikeplasma.com. but if you want lighter torches easier to handle look at refrigeration, or aviation, you may find one easier for your hands if you have any difficulty holding or maintaining control.

I have been torch welding over 30 years, practice, practice, practice. learning how to move torch to & from work to maintain the plasticity stage of metal without blowing holes, burning edge, & melting filler rod takes time to develop, when I was in school autobody was taught with torch work, & hammer dolly, as well as sheet metal work & filing to get part smoth & it wasnt until my second year of autobody in college did I do autobody work with boddy filler, "bondo"

I wasnt happy with the first video of the guy describing the gasses, accetelene is highly dangerous, highly flamable, and in a free state, it can create heat from pressure & ignite, thats why the regulators have 15psi marked as maximum pressure.

the rest of the videos seem very good.

oxygen is also highly dangerous, but most guys around it dont think so, but if it gets into clothing, & a spark hits, poof, the molecules plus microscopic fibers on clothing make anything your wearing highly flamable if you spray the dust off with oxygen instead of a shop air compressor.

ALSO! Oxgen is flamable beyond most peoples imagination in presence of petroleum, never allow any lubrication to come into contact with the threads that go to the tank, high pressure & petroleum, it will be on fire before you even blink, & I dont mean a small fire, a poof that could remove parts of your annatomy before you even realise what happened, it has the potential to dissolve anything close for several feet.

you dont read much about the dangers in automotive scene, but people into scuba showed me many years ago. research it for the dangers.

back to sheet metal, if your welding thin metal, you can buy heat putty to build a dam to act as a heat sink so you dont warp, plus with hammering & dolly work you can weld metal, then "quench" then work on, welding 1/2" to 1" per time. clipped many a roof in my younger days just doing torch work, before I got into using a mig welder, but I love old school work.

old choppers people cut necks & brazed with torches. it still gives me shakes, but I saw many old chops done like that in the old days.

for a toy, for those interested, a vintage piece is a carbon torch, it makes your electric arc welder a little more versatile, but you probably wont be able to weld thin metal, unles you can use small carbons & dial down welder, but it will increase the versality of your arc welder, and allow you to heat & bend & braze for those that dont have a torch outfit.

Later,
    Randy

^ very good advice!

I learned a few things from this post, thanks Tomcat & KnucklePanShovel.

Good solid advice from everyone-especially about the dangers. This reminds me of just how much I have forgotten/take for granted since I learned to gas weld
    1950 Indian Chief
    1939 4cyl-mild custom
    1939 Chief w/Goulding Rocket "Marylin" project
    Bsaindinortri project "in the works"

Thread Information