Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boattail Harleys

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf View Post
    Hmm. In my 61-71 parts book, it shows the boattail (just the fiberglass piece) as part #52095-70 and says it is for 70-* XLH, XLCH
    Correct. And your book also shows things like a heel Toe Shifter, Luggage Carrier, Engine guards, Windshield for an XLCH that did not come on production bikes but were accessory's.

Yes, boat tail came stock on Dad's '72 Superglide too. It was broken when Dad and a dunebuggy met in the wrong spot.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!!!"

2006 FXDI

Quote Originally Posted by Mikengina View Post
    Yes, boat tail came stock on Dad's '72 Superglide too.
    The Boat Tail was not available on the 1972 models. But I am sure the dealers had a lot of take offs layin' around that they could install if the customer wanted it.

Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Again, we have to agree to disagree. This is Dad's '72 FX. He put it together out of the crate having bought it for $1700 from a dealer going out of business. Pat sold it for him on ebay, and sold the seat separate since it was cracked. I think the same bike is posted in the IMBODEN'S BIKES thread.

Last edited by Mikengina; 09-03-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!!!"

2006 FXDI

You are not disagreeing with me. You are disagreeing with Harley-Davidson. One question. Where was the master cylinder located?
    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 09-03-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Ya know, I don't remember!! Perhaps Pat does since he got up close with it before selling it on ebay. Seems like it only went for around 5500 or so. I'll look and see if I have a shot of that side of the machine.
    Nope, no pics of that side of the bike. Have to wait and see if Pat has any.
    Last edited by Mikengina; 09-03-2008 at 06:56 PM.

2006 FXDI

The 1971 FX had the master cylinder in front of the engine. The 1972 was behind the engine. Other than the master cylinder and boat tail they are the same.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    The 1971 FX had the master cylinder in front of the engine. The 1972 was behind the engine. Other than the master cylinder and boat tail they are the same.
    The master cylinder on this one was behind the engine. I had to do quite a cleaning job on the whole bike. My grandfather dosn't bother with wash jobs. He still hasn't washed his 06' superglide.

sunshine Guest

Re: Boattail Harleys

My husband is putting together one of these bikes. He has odds and ends for it, but would like a bike to start with. Not a sportster. He wants a Superglide FX. It has been a couple of years since your last comment on this. Do you still have the bikes?

sdavis1300 Guest

Re: Boattail Harleys

for sale 1971 xlch 900 boattail sportster 6894 miles sparkling burgandy sdavis1300@carolina.rr.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information