Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Boattail Harleys

Re: Boattail Harleys

Wow havent seen one in years and its still an ugly bike.lol

There is a boattail on ebay right now for a Sportster. 220665691713 Not mine but looks like a decent start.

Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post

That '72 "Midnight Express" is a fine looking motorcycle. It has something of the 1936 EL "61 OHV" look to it in my eyes: single FL muffler, old style kick-start lever, small FL tanks and speedo, slim front end, etc. Very nice!

Harley Trivia: They might "officially" have called the '71 FX fiberglass rear section "boat-tail" but around the Harley Factory it was known as "the alligator." I supposed they figured something that outlandlish looking was going to kill them all...

Someone asked if the 71 FX boat tail came in any other colors - I had on in 71 that was burgundy. The seat was "slippery" and I thought the rear looked like a Kawasaki. First thing I did was removed the boat tail and replaced with a different fender & seat setup ( also removed the AMF emblems so my buddies would stop calling it a bowling alley Harley). I rode that bike for ten years (daily no car back then) it never gave me much trouble and I always regret selling it back in the early eighties.

I have seen a few listed for sale and figure (might be wrong please correct me if so) an original is valued at around $15,000.00 - &17,000.00 ?

'71 models came in a bunch of colors as well as in primer so owners could paint them how they wanted.

Last edited by Rubone; 07-30-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

6. Re: Boattail Harleys

Robbie, would you happen to have the FLH page scanned into your files from that 1971 price list?

Nice! I think I paid around $2400.00 for mine in 1971 any thoughts on their value now?

Quote Originally Posted by badger34 View Post
    Robbie, would you happen to have the FLH page scanned into your files from that 1971 price list?
    Not sure, but I can scan it for you!

Edit:
    I don't have it in the file. I'll scan it and open a new thread for you. It is 5 pages.
    Last edited by Rubone; 07-30-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thread Information