Thread: Shovel For Sale

Shovel For Sale

I bought a rough but running Shovelhead a while ago as a possible project for the magazine but have decided I have too much to do with other bikes so I am considering selling it. I think it's a 1972.

All together and running but will need some love to make it dependable. We did rebuild the rear banana calipers, which were pretty shot. It does start and run fair. Needs to be gone over from one end to the other.

I have a little over $5,500 in it. What do people here think it's worth?
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Sounds like it's worth...................oh, about $5,500.

I see them all the time in varying condition/originality for between $4000-$6000. Some cheaper, some more expensive. There are so many factors to consider, it's really impossible to throw down a blanket price that covers everything. I think it boils down to just 3 things: condition, condition, and condition. Some early '70s Shovels I see wouldn't be worth a thousand bucks to me, while other exceptional examples seem like they would be worth 10 to 12 grand or more. Without knowing any more about yours, I'd say you're on the high end of reality. Not out of line, but not a steal. Seems fair.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

I just bought a 78 FXE about a month ago for 4,200. Fair shape, seems like most go between 4 - 6 just like my good friend here said. I don't think 5,500 is outta line, but I wouldn't be suprised to see it not sell either. I saw a nice lookin one listed for 5,500 that didn't sell, but you might have some name power to get it gone too.
    the market for used bikes seems so flooded right now, I would be suprised if it went for more than 6.

good luck!

i was thinking about putting one of my late models in a dealership on consignment, till he told me it was only worth $6k. it is a '99 superglide with $4k in the motor, and 8600 miles. i told him i couldn't replace it for that price, and it wouldn't be worth selling it. i'm better off, as i like the bike, but i need to make room for my new cross bones. i'm bike rich, and cash poor!!!
    CHIEFJ48

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Quote Originally Posted by chiefj48 View Post
    i was thinking about putting one of my late models in a dealership on consignment, till he told me it was only worth $6k. it is a '99 superglide with $4k in the motor, and 8600 miles. i told him i couldn't replace it for that price, and it wouldn't be worth selling it. i'm better off, as i like the bike, but i need to make room for my new cross bones. i'm bike rich, and cash poor!!!
    The bike would be worth more if the dealership owned it. They always are.

I my opinion, which are like belly buttons....everyone has one, I would buy a stock engine bike or car over a hot rodded bikeor car. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the mods and machine work done to your engine. The way I look at it is one never knows how good the mechanic was who did the work or if the carb works with the cam etc. For me give me a stock engine that was never apart or one that the top end was done. I will say again this is just my belly button...er ...uh ..opinion.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
    I bought a rough but running Shovelhead a while ago as a possible project for the magazine but have decided I have too much to do with other bikes so I am considering selling it. I think it's a 1972.

All together and running but will need some love to make it dependable. We did rebuild the rear banana calipers, which were pretty shot. It does start and run fair. Needs to be gone over from one end to the other.

I have a little over $5,500 in it. What do people here think it's worth?
    Show us some photos of the bike. The way you desribe it, it sounds like if someone would want to fix it up they would have a whole lot more into it than what they could get out of it. Just my opinion.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Quote Originally Posted by haugster1340 View Post
    The bike would be worth more if the dealership owned it. They always are.

I my opinion, which are like belly buttons....everyone has one, I would buy a stock engine bike or car over a hot rodded bikeor car. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the mods and machine work done to your engine. The way I look at it is one never knows how good the mechanic was who did the work or if the carb works with the cam etc. For me give me a stock engine that was never apart or one that the top end was done. I will say again this is just my belly button...er ...uh ..opinion.
    if you saw the bike, and knew it's back ground, i think you might have a different opinion.

but then again, i also have a belly button!!
    CHIEFJ48

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Quote Originally Posted by chiefj48 View Post
    if you saw the bike, and knew it's back ground, i think you might have a different opinion.

but then again, i also have a belly button!!
    Cheif, I am not agreeing with the dealer. I am sure your bike is worth a lot more then what they said. I am a stock engine guy though I do appreciate a good souped up engine.

Buzz,show us a couple pics, is it a FL?
    64 Duo-Glide

Anybody see the prices at the Nevada Midamerica auction? Go to their website, www.midamericaauctions.com. Check out the goofy prices. It just shows there ain't no set value for bikes. Some of the Shovels got pretty good dollars. I think there are a lot of 2nd childhood yuppies or something. Wait'll they start living with a troublehead.
    Mike

Thread Information