Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The AMCA is Splintering

Re: The AMCA is Splintering

Eric, I agree with exactly what you say. Anyone that knows me knows I am not in the buisness of motorcycles in any way other than the enjoyment of riding and the preservation of what i am the caretaker to. I do not vend, I do not benifit financially in any way, I have no ulterior motive or seek to profit from my volunteering for the local club or the national. I do it for personal satisfaction and the comraderie of like-minded individuals like myself. I do have issue with people that have a continual usary of the club, regionaly or nationaly, and using the sweat of the volunteers to furthur their personal gain. I am NOT talking about vendors so please don't think I am. They pay for their spot and rightfully so should profit whatever they can and I wish and hope they do because they are the basis of all the meets. I know that you and anyone else that can read between the lines knows what I am talking about.
    Last edited by HDpanman; 11-27-2011 at 06:08 PM.

if your worried about transparency in the amca.you should piss and moan on their site.doing so here will never get back to the bod.even if your post are censored more members may have a chance to see them.

I received a PM from an acquaintance today, who wanted some more information on the can of worms he read us discussing:

Just wondering what you feel is a problem with the AMCA, I joined but to be honest have not really paided attention to any politics of the group been to busy for the last two years with work and such.

Basically, Bro, I think a lot of it is "TOO MUCH MONEY CHASING TOO FEW DECENT OLD MOTORCYCLES LEFT IN CIRCULATION."

A big problem is that we have too many people these days who want "an old Knucklehead Harley," f'rinstance. And, also, too many people willing to bolt together any old combination of parts, be they new, old OEM or repop, and call it a "restoration." By gawd, there's some real junk being built that isn't even a good simulation of a Knucklehead, just for one category, but the sellers put outrageous prices on the junk, and there is, simultaneously, too much money chasing after these "pseudo-restorations," so the scammers get most of what they ask. The clueless with 2much$$$ get it, too, in the end, if you know what I mean.

I find that the AMCA seems to be in the throes of being taken over more-and-more by people trying to make a living off what used to be a hobby. "Professionals" are one thing, serving to help the restoration process, but, overall, too many people chasing fewer and fewer legitimate objects, is a root cause of "inflation."

I explained that I go back to when no one was trying to make so much as a buck off the old parts, just trying to build one or two bikes, and all helped each other to accomplish that without a thought to profit. That's the only way it's "fun." People who set out to MAKE THEIR LIVING buying low and selling high; parts and whole bikes, have ruined what was for decades a genial, amicable, single-purpose club.

Some bikes have been so bastardized that they are almost beyond recognition, and are still called "restored" by their sellers! New, clueless people with some money who are looking at "antique motorcycles" for a hedge think they're "investing" in an appreciating collectible, but what they find out eventually is that all they got was a bunch of unrelated parts not worth near what they paid for the pseudo "restoration," and they justifiably feel ripped off.

But many of these still desperately try to recoup their investment and pass off the POS bike they bought to another unsuspecting rube before washing their hands of the whole distasteful "investment," by continuing to claim a value for the thing that they flat know by that time is a LIE.

Trying to make our hobby an "industry," and feeding families from the proceeds by too many inexpert people had ruined the whole pleasant experience for many others. Too much money is wasted, by people with too little real knowledge of what they're doing, in the desperate pursuit of fewer and fewer top-drawer antique motorcycles.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

All of this anti-AMCA talk is because a letter was censored the other day at the AMCA forum. The letter was censored by the forum administrator because it promoted a non AMCA meet at Eustis that is going to conflict with an AMCA meet in Volusia County. This has turned into an AMCA bashing opportunity and now every pissy little problem people have with the AMCA is on the table. I joined the AMCA in the mid-70's when it was a small club and lots of fun. Today, it's a big club and everyone seems to be unhappy. My suggestion is; if you're unhappy with the AMCA, quit. Personally, I love the AMCA and would love to see it as the small club it used to be.

axeric, I am not unhappy. I think the AMCA is great. I am proud to be a member and have been enjoying the benefits. Life's too short to go around with a pissy attitude. I get the impression you feel the same way. Thanks! John Lindemann

6. Re: The AMCA is Splintering

When I am at AMCA meets looking at parts during the day and sitting at campfires drinking beer at night with friends none of these problems seem to exist. The issues appear to be far greater in the virtual lap top world of the AMCA

I think Indianut said it best: If you go to an antique motorcycle meet and you're not having fun, you're in the wrong hobby.

8. Re: The AMCA is Splintering

Sarge,
    You are upset by people passing off inferior bikes for big money, why not do what I do and ask if the seller has had it judged by the AMCA, then you are assured of quality or crap, straight and simple. The score sheet tells all, you of all people should know that. I am building AMCA high point restorations all the time out of piles of parts for many customers, if the part is not available we reproduce it exactly as it was made and make extras so other people have the opportunity to use the parts on their machines.

I volunteered for the chief judge position because no one seemed to want to step forward for this thankless and time consuming job, including senior judges. It needed leadership and I wanted to give back to the club that has given me so much throughout the years I have been a member. Instead of complaining about the club, why don't you do something to help the club. If you can't do that quit the club and give your membership to someone who will appreceate it.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Olsen View Post
    Sarge,
    You are upset by people passing off inferior bikes for big money, why not do what I do and ask if the seller has had it judged by the AMCA, then you are assured of quality or crap, straight and simple. The score sheet tells all, you of all people should know that. I am building AMCA high point restorations all the time out of piles of parts for many customers, if the part is not available we reproduce it exactly as it was made and make extras so other people have the opportunity to use the parts on their machines.

I volunteered for the chief judge position because no one seemed to want to step forward for this thankless and time consuming job, including senior judges. It needed leadership and I wanted to give back to the club that has given me so much throughout the years I have been a member. Instead of complaining about the club, why don't you do something to help the club. If you can't do that quit the club and give your membership to someone who will appreceate it.

Carl
    Hallelujah and Amen!!!!!

Thanks to both you and Matt for all that you guys do for the Club. I know it's heading toward a brighter future.....especially with you guys at the forefront!
    Matt Walksler

'38 Knucklehead -- '39 WLDD
    '41 ULH -- '53 Panhead
    '16 J-model Cutdown (in progress) -- '49 Dual-Carb Panhead (in progress)

Yea, what he said......

Thread Information