Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a frame, seat post torched to remove spring, could frame be damaged from it?

Found a frame, seat post torched to remove spring, could frame be damaged from it?

I may have found an almost unmolested '66 frame within driving distance, but to remove the spring someone has taken a torch to the seat post, from the photos it looks like it got pretty hot. Do you think this could have caused any 'stress' damage to the metal? I know, probably depends on how hot and stuff, so I guess I'm just asking for some opinions. It does look like it got hot, but I'm not too awful ascared of it, but what do I know, I was a smoker for 30 years. What do you guys think?
    Also, this frame doesn't have the 'gusset' added to the left lower rear leg, if I end up buying this frame should I add it?
    Thanks for your time.
    Karl
    66frame.jpgseatpost.jpgseatpost2.jpg

Re: Found a frame, seat post torched to remove spring, could frame be damaged from it

The metal is definately stressed. How much, who knows?! If it was heated with a propane torch, which looks to be the case, the damaged maybe reduced by the fact that it air cooled. In other words, the surface will be softer, more flexible, but it's just the seat post so maybe it'll be ok. Do a file test on the affected area and on the the other areas. Note the difference with which the file cuts, if not much difference, probably ok. hope this helps.
    1961 XLCH
    2010 XL883N

Re: Found a frame, seat post torched to remove spring, could frame be damaged from it

What type of load, other than compression does that seat post experience? I admit that I know absolutley nothing about frames, but it doesn't strike me as a critical "Load Bearing" part of the frame.

So how wrong am I on this?
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '64 FL
    '01 FXDWG2
    '09 FXDL
    '12 FLD

Standard proceedure for any weldment is to normalize, or stress relieve it after it's been welded (i.e. been hot). You can do this by shot peening, shaking, or baking in an oven to bring everything to the same temp. The weldments we built at the company I worked at were shot peened or shaken if they were too big. You can stress relieve your frame by having it sand blasted but I don't think you're frame got hot enough to worry about. Regardless, you need to have your frame sand blasted so the resulting stress relief will be bonus. Your real problem is going to be getting that seat post out.

I recall a thread here some time ago, but I don't remember the author. He went through quite an ordeal getting a seat post out--- fabricated a hole saw device, if I remember correctly. Do a search, see if you can find it.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

6. Re: Found a frame, seat post torched to remove spring, could frame be damaged from it

Had to heat that area on my 49 frame due to the same problem. Also had to have the lower end rewelded due to cracks. So far it has held up.

So far this is the best frame I've found, overall condition wise. I'm not a big pogo stick fan anyway, so I don't plan on messing with the remnants of what's left in the seat post.

Quote Originally Posted by sixty5pan View Post
    So far this is the best frame I've found, overall condition wise. I'm not a big pogo stick fan anyway, so I don't plan on messing with the remnants of what's left in the seat post.
    You may come to regret that decision at a later date. You'll never have a better chance to fix it than right now. A little effort now might possibly be an investment in the future...!
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Sounds like sandblasting that blue paint off might fix the heat damage problem and take care of the second biggest problem, the blue paint... Best of luck.
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '64 FL
    '01 FXDWG2
    '09 FXDL
    '12 FLD

Thread Information