Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage HD Legshield Differences

Vintage HD Legshield Differences

Does anyone have a comparrison photo chart for identifying HD legshields and their intended application on model and year of bike ? Such as...how many 45 solo legshield types were there and what were the changes made. How about Servicar models ? How many Big Twin Twin legshield types.....??? Thanks, Paps

Re: Vintage HD Legshield Differences

Here you go, Paul,
    Big Twin: I picked these up years ago for my pre-war UL, but have been told they're later. Maybe someone can nail them down for both of us.

Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Thanks Sarge. I have a pair just like those and I thought they were Big Twin flatty. I don't know what year they are used on either though. I also have a pair of 45 solo legshields and understand there were a few different types as well. I was told the wla was different than the solo model but I can't see the difference looking at parts diagrams. I also understand the 45 solo shields were used on a few years of Servicar. The easiest type to spot is the later Servicar shields with the alternator clearance opening in them. The major difference in the two different pair of shields I have are the mounting bracket plate and angle of the mounting plate locations. The mud flaps are also different. The 45 solo pair mud flaps have a different flap per side and the Big Twin pair have identical mud flaps but are reversed for fastening.

Sarge,
    Those are Big Twin shields which remained the same throughout their lives, EXCEPT for the mounting brackets. Your brackets did not appear until the '49. Look at the left one and how the rib ends where the shield has the forward facing notch. That notch clears the air filter on U models.
    The earlier brackets are very different and are designed to clamp to the same u-bolts that hold the front safety guard. The big twin type also use different rubber flaps and lower mounting brackets than 45. Note the mounting holes for the clamps are basically parallel to the bottom edge. 45 type have the mounting holes at an angle and use mirror image lower brackets. 45 type also have the reinforcing rib continuing around the edge without the notch like BT. The difference in the flap Paps mentions is to clear the pipes.
    I have had NOS WLA as well asnos civilian and never saw anty difference other than finish. except for this next item!
    The only odd ones I have seen are an NOS pair in olive drab that I have still carrying quartermaster depot labels made of totally flat material with no ribs and leather not rubber flaps. I can only assume they are later WWII production like the flat front fenders but have not been able to verify that. When I asked about them before I got nothing in response.
    I'll try to get pics of a 45 style tomorrow Paps, these show the correct mounting for your UL Sarge.
    Robbie

Last edited by Rubone; 11-04-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks, Robbie! I bought um for the obvious Flathead carb cut-out on the left one. And "correct" early mtg brackets yours show look like fairly simple eyeball-fabrication. Tho, some dimensions/measured dwgs would be really nice, if you want to go to all that trouble. I'm getting cranked up for a little bracket-fab here, pretty soon, anyway, and they look like ordinary steel strapping.

Either that, or I'm looking for a wrecked military saddlebag (one) that still has the military 4-post steel bracket intact. Getting another new saddlebag built. Long story.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Sarge
    I bought um for the obvious Flathead carb cut-out on the left one.
    All BT type have that cutout, OHV too!
    If You need the dimensions PM me. I can measure them for you.
    Robbie

Thanks Robbie. That helps out quite a bit. I figured the only difference in 45 solo shields was the paint, noted by parts ooks part numbers, but I came across some minor arguments that bring up more discussion. I will post some pics of my two sets tomorrow. Along with those pics, I will post what another claims to be original wla shields. Though one individual claims his shields as being 1942wla, they conflict with another who makes claim an identical pair he owns are 1940. I do see a difference in the left side cut out on the disputed model year pairs verses my 45 solo pair.

Sarge...exactly what brackets do you need ? I may have a spare, if the one or ones you need are my spares.

And the OHV....am I correct in assuming the shields for these models are basically a mirror image of the 45 and Big Twin Flatties ?

And the OHV....am I correct in assuming the shields for these models are basically a mirror image of the 45 and Big Twin Flatties ?
    No you are not. there is no distinction between big twin SV or OHV shields, all are the same.
    The brackets Sarge needs are the ones bolted to the shields in my picture. The left side has that big radius to clear the shift linkage.
    Robbie

Thread Information