Thread: 2012 Cannonball rider

1. 2012 Cannonball rider

My name is Steve from Kansas City. A buddy and I rode to Hot Springs Arkansas in September 2010 to meet the Cannonball riders! I immediately fell in love with the event and knew I had to be involved in all the motorcycle craziness that I witnessed! The next day it was truely a spectical to see 40 plus nearly 100 year old bikes take off in a loud frenetic rour and cloud of smoke! Shake rattle and roll as they moved on towards thier west coast finish.

I will be riding in the Cannonball but am going to need a lot of support to get my old bike across the country. First, I have had many bikes but never a pre-1930 and still don't! I am going to >>BUY<< a 1929 JD or BMW twin. I want a good solid rider as close to Cannonball ready as I can find! Any comments, support or leads on bikes welcome! Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by steve1952; 10-19-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Re: Cannonball 2012 Rider?

Hi and welcome both to the forum and to the Cannonball. I was one of the guys on a nearly 100 year old Harley but Selma was not popping or back firing as I rode her out of Hot Springs.

Good luck in your search for a bike to ridenext year. Whatever you get make sure all the mechanical functions are to full spec and well sorted. Also make sure the bike tracks straight, stops properly and is physically comfortable for you on the long haul. Brings spares, tools and a pioneering attitude.

I plan on riding again next year but on a 1926 Harley J this time. As much as I love riding Selma, my 1915 Harley I am more looking forward to riding a bike with a real oil pump and battery/coil ignition.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Forum Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Harley magazine
    Classic Harley Classic Harley Info
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

Hi and welcome,

You'll have the help needed for your cannonball ride here!
    Bob
    43 wlc

'' 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul ''

5. Re: Cannonball 2012 Rider?

Buzz! Thanks for the words from a fellow vintage rider/enthusiast that has been there done that!! What was your take on thje 1924 Harley that sold at Barber for $24,000?

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve1952 View Post
    Buzz! Thanks for the words from a fellow vintage rider/enthusiast that has been there done that!! What was your take on thje 1924 Harley that sold at Barber for $24,000?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I was at the Barber auction and looked the '24 over closely with a few other guys from he Motorcycle Kickstart Classic. I liked it and saw alot of good parts on it. I didn't hear it run or see it go down the road, so no idea what the mechanical condition was. I noted the battery cover top was off and in the tool box, so I assume someone had been messing with it recently. Downside of that bike as a potential Cannonballer is the lack of front brakes and clincher wheels. Both of which can be updated, but at $24,000 someone was paying for correct, and it would be a shame to pay big coin for correct and then modify it. But that's just my take.
    Buzz Kanter

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

7. Re: Cannonball 2012 Rider?

Thanks for your comment on the Barber bike! I had a couple of guys that were advising me on that bike and they had the same opinion. I’m just learning about these early bikes so it’s good when you get a consinsious of opnion. Next!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Kanter View Post
    I plan on riding again next year but on a 1926 Harley J this time. ....I am more looking forward to riding a bike with a real oil pump and battery/coil ignition.
    Real oil pump? Did you ad a recirculating oil pump to your '26, similar to what Matt Olsen had on his Sears? Just wondering.
    Last edited by haugster1340; 10-20-2011 at 06:09 AM.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Quote Originally Posted by haugster1340 View Post
    Real oil pump? Did you ad a recirculating oil pump to your '26, similar to what Matt Olsen had on his Sears? Just wondering.
    A "real oil pump" gets the oil out of the tank and into the sump under some control. My 1915 Harley I rode on the last Motorcycle Cannonball was a gravity feed dripper - pretty much non adjustable. Recirculating oil would be pretty amazing but not for this bike.
    Buzz Kanter

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Kanter View Post
    A "real oil pump" gets the oil out of the tank and into the sump under some control. My 1915 Harley I rode on the last Motorcycle Cannonball was a gravity feed dripper - pretty much non adjustable. Recirculating oil would be pretty amazing but not for this bike.
    In my opinion, there is not a whole lot of difference between the 1914 and the 1926 oil systems. Neither have a "real oil pump". According to the MoCo's "Crate to road" instructions, the constant oil flow from the oil tank to the cases on a 1914 is controlled by adjusting a needle valve and on a 1926 flow is controlled by adding and removing washers on what the MoCo calls the "mechanical oil pump". It is more of a regulator than a pump. I thought you added a recirculating oil pump when you said a "real oil pump".
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Thread Information