Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 1500cc stroker status

The 1500cc stroker status

Hello folks,

Im not sure you ppl remember i did ask for tip here to build a 86" JD stroker engine 5 months ago. Now i have ride the bike for over 5000 kilometers or 3100 miles and it works as a clock.

There is some options to be adjusted and tuned for top performance infor the comming (personal) speed record attempt this winter (125 miles per hour is the goal).

If any one knows the top speed record for Harley JD please inform me.

Some calculation are needed to be done before the tuning can start.

First i will check all tollerances and add new piston rings and serve the valves. If all is ok i will find out the compressions ratio and check up the cam timing and duration as well as ignition. Then its time for the trim and tune job.

For the controll of all data and perform the jetting job i will use fuel/air messurment by lambda sond and a mapping device, LM-2 Digital Air/Fuel (Dual 2 Channel O2). Later i will construct and build a permanent test and tune mapping device for this vintage race bike as well as Harley fuel injection system.

Stuff to do:
    * I have been riding over 5000 kilometers since june 2011 on half throttle only so i will start with open up 100% and execute a professinal final jetting.
    *Higher compression by taking away the stroke plates used during the "ride in period".
    * Optimize the magneto.
    * Increase the fuel octan by special additives.

It will be very interesting to experiemt with the drive ratio and tier set up and find out the top speed.

The Final Drive Ratio

The formula can be expressed as (T/E)*(W/C), where T is Transmission sprocket circumference, E is Engine sprocket circumference, W is rear Wheel circumference and C is Countershaft circumference. Each circumference is measured in sprocket or pulley teeth.

Given a typical setup, the stock configuration is usually very near 1.5 for the primary, and around 2.2 for the secondary. The FDR for a stock bike might be around 3.3. But wait a minute, im running a stroker motor. Now, these numbers are highly general, and depend on lots of factors, not least of which is the diameter of your rear wheel.

My engine is very powerfull at low rev so ill guess these figures and calculatons will not really siute my optimal set up. But its a good start. I will order special made sprockets in alumnium with varios calculated ratio.

Follow the procedur and later the final results during this winter on my blog http://thepowerslidingsidecar.blogspot.com/.

Valand
    Last edited by Valand; 10-21-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: question asked
    Daily bike: 1928 HD JD 86" stroker
    Project: JDH cylinder reproduction
    A.M.C.A Member
    The Power Sliding Sidecar Blog

Re: The 1500cc stroker status

5000 kilometers at half throttle? You have a lot of self-control Valand........

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
    5000 kilometers at half throttle? You have a lot of self-control Valand........
    Hehehe no, its more rellated to being lazy. I have not changed the handle bar from pushing to drag, wich results in the wire bends and flex when the CV wants to turn the throttle around wich results in only 50% throttle. But its enough cause this engine is so strong at low rev and can easy beat any standard J or JD annyway. The bike have so low duraion on the back wheel now so its no difference if i ride with or without sidecar. So there is much more speed to get.

And thnx Mr. Big for your allways positive atitude.

Ride on . . .

Valand
    A.M.C.A Member

Awesome, continue to make good job Valand
    Best regards from France

you can take out your exhaust nipples.that lets you use a larger dia. exhaust pipe. you can just push the pipe up into the cylinder. if you can make your own valve pockets i'll so you one that can boost your compression. you maybe able to see how these pipes go in without the nipples

Quote Originally Posted by 2cam View Post
    Awesome, continue to make good job Valand
    Best regards from France
    Thnx for positive comments...
    A.M.C.A Member

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    you can take out your exhaust nipples.that lets you use a larger dia. exhaust pipe. you can just push the pipe up into the cylinder. if you can make your own valve pockets i'll so you one that can boost your compression. you maybe able to see how these pipes go in without the nipples
    Wow what a butiful machine. I have never seen anything like that, the gas tank is very rare ill guess? Also the fork, to not talk about your engine. Is this the rebuilted JD to a two cam engine what i have heard about? Shall the intake be mounted as it is on your bike?
    Can you tell me more about the bike? Does you have more pictures and can i show the bike on my blog?

Thank you very much for your tip about exhaust, when i read it its obviouse and a smart idea, what i should have find myselves. Therfore im very gratefull for your tip and realize im still a pupil punk.

Ill guess you does race this bike? Will you be in the Canonball race next year with this bike? Im invited to join with my stroker and i really hope i can make it. Wold be so cool to meet and ride with some of the people and bikes i read about here and on the web what does really amazing jobs on their old bikes.

Ride on . . .

Valand
    Last edited by Valand; 10-22-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    A.M.C.A Member

8. Re: The 1500cc stroker status

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Keystone frame? Banjo engine? Cool!
    Dual Carb - 2 carbs are better than 1

Classic Harley Magazine
    Vincent Motorcycles

sorry guys not my bike. the motor is a ml special. the cam side is home made along with the oil pump. i took this photo at wauseon. i'll look for more. matt knows the bike better and my have something to add about it.

At Davenport, Dave Kafton had a radar gun and was clocking bikes in various classes.

The XR750s (don't know what Class they were racing in) were running around 70-72 mph on the straights. The bike in the above photo was running 73-74mph!

Quite possibly the most amazing J-era motor I've ever seen or heard! I had the pleasure of running around the track at Wauseon against this bike, 3-wide in the turns! Video below.

(fast forward to about 4 minutes in)
    Matt Walksler

'38 Knucklehead -- '39 WLDD
    '41 ULH -- '53 Panhead
    '16 J-model Cutdown (in progress) -- '49 Dual-Carb Panhead (in progress)

Thread Information