Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genuine H-D competion sweater

1. Re: Genuine H-D competion sweater

we're aware they may seem pricey but these clothes are heirloom items, limited production garments made in Portland, OR. by US workers doing high quality workmanship on the same machinery and patterns that made them 70 years ago.

These aren't walmart items made by children in countries you've never heard of.

Interestingly I made a price comparison to a 100% wool custom motorcycle club sweater from an advert from 1935 -- the price was $6, sounded cheap until I saw the average wage in 1935 was $1100! That was in a pre-consumerism age when people spent more on things but expected them to last.

Re: Genuine H-D competion sweater

The price of my original in 1947 was $8.50. I paid a bit more than that and a lot more to have it framed.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Try to find a mill that can weave them and your question will be answered!!
    Robbie
    China probably got 'em!
    A poor boy plays by poor boy ways

I contacted the museum to inquire about shipping. They told me that the sale was subject to a sales tax. I asked why is that, since I am in Hawaii and the sale is being made to someone outside of Wisconsin. Hawaii does not have a reciprocal aggreement with Wisconsin to have the tax dollars sent to Hawaii from e-commerce so that would go to their bottom line & and I explained this to them.

The gal there said I have to get back to you on that and this was done the first week of December.

I was thinking about purchase of one possibly 2 of these.

She never got back to me, which is typical of Harley Davidsons way of not servicing customers. Even if they could not do it, it takes a few minutes to reply to an email that says, I tried, but sorry we can't wave the tax, or yes, we can wave the tax, how many do you want to order, size, color etc.

With freight they do not use USPS, and force the only choice they work with on it which I believe is FEDEX. So it is like 70 bucks to freight a sweater to Hawaii. Get a grip Moco Museum, sending a sweater via priority mail to anywhere in the US of A which Hawaii is part of the US of A should be no more than $9.95.

And with that so much for providing "service" to customers who want to buy out of state as you have zip in freight choice.

Because of the tax and high freight charges for me, paying over 300 bucks for this is not a reality.

I think Gasoline Cowboy posted what they posted, they are not geting the projected sell through thus trying to prod sales along. Prod the museum Gasoline Cowboys.

As nice as the sweaters are, the economy sucks and watching every dollar being spent versus being put away for lifes needs later in life....you can believe in whcih one takes precedence.

My most recent purchase was 2 sets of tires and the freight was bad enough, but with tires I can at least put the bike on the road.

With a sweater, anyone can do without it and wear other protective gear already owned.
    Last edited by ricmoran; 01-14-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dualcarb View Post
    They look pretty nice. But why so much $$$$?
    Why so much?? Just read what it says on the front.....

6. Re: Genuine H-D competion sweater

[QUOTE=ricmoran;97656] I think Gasoline Cowboy posted what they posted, they are not geting the projected sell through thus trying to prod sales along. Prod the museum Gasoline Cowboys.

Not true at all.

Someone had asked about price point so I was simply answering why custom made garments cost more. As far as I know they are selling well.

I have seen these sweaters and they are really well made and beautiful. Now if I could only afford one,,,,
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Here's a pic of my shirt.like chris said made by champion. Has different sleeve ends and collar
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those sweaters are real nice looking, but I need a better color than white. I'd ruin it the first day...
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Thread Information