Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Davenport 2012

Re: Davenport 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MattWalksler View Post
    Have you ever been at Davenport on a Sunday??? Its empty. Lack of judging on't make the smallest bit of difference to most. Maybe, maybe 1% of the folks at Davenport are there for judging.

Chris, I really doubt it has anything to do with the AMCA getting the "lions share" of the proceeds. Figure 30-40 bikes being judged.....whats that add up to? Small potatoes, thats what. The existance of judging at Davenport (and $$$ collected from it) doesn't "take anything away" from the chapter....its supplimentary revenue that goes to the club, correct? Revenue to the club from judging and revenue to the chapter from vendors, etc. are unrelated.

I would say its more to do with the general dissatisfaction of AMCA members with the judging administration over the last few years. In fact, issues with judging are about the only negative thing you ever here about AMCA meets. But then again, it may just be an issue of the timely

administration it takes for a program that appeals to only a small percentage of the membership as a whole. Fact is, while its important to some, its just not that popular to most.

Paps, no judging may deter folks from bringing there pristine machines, but it won't make a bit of difference when it comes to vendors. Vendors don't sell stuff to see their parts on "judged motorcycles".......they sell to make money. Granted, there may be a bit of pride when it comes to a vendor selling a rare piece for what will become a winner's circle bike, but I can guarantee that most could care less where the part goes, as long as they get a decent price for it and don't have to haul it home.
    Matt,
    I am talking about all the procedes of the meet. Not just the money from judging.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

I believe they don't want to fund the foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Matt,
    I am talking about all the procedes of the meet. Not just the money from judging.
    Okay..... I must be missing something.

How does Blackhawks decision to not have judging (if it is indeed THEIR decision) affect who gets the lions share of the overall proceeds? How does it put more money in THEIR pocket? That seemingly wouldn't change a thing. Blackhawk Chapter would not benefit any more than if there were judging....in fact, they would benefit less if they were collecting some of the $$ from judging. Don't make much sense.

If the formula/percentage for splitting up the $$$ is the same, it doesn't make a difference.
    Matt Walksler

'38 Knucklehead -- '39 WLDD
    '41 ULH -- '53 Panhead
    '16 J-model Cutdown (in progress) -- '49 Dual-Carb Panhead (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    I believe they don't want to fund the foundation
    Ahhh......very possible.
    Matt Walksler

'38 Knucklehead -- '39 WLDD
    '41 ULH -- '53 Panhead
    '16 J-model Cutdown (in progress) -- '49 Dual-Carb Panhead (in progress)

I am almost positive that the amca gets $25 from each vendor space sold. If they sell 800 spaces @ $50 they are sending the amca 20k after the meet is over. I have heard that the davenport meet was not very profitiable even though it is the biggest and the best in my opinion. The extra 20k would probably go along way for the blackhawk chapter. It want stop me from attending and vending although I feel that it may cause some contraversy.

6. Re: Davenport 2012

I think I read in a past issue of the Blackhawk Chapter newsletter, that the national received 25% of the revenue the Blackhawk Chapter took in from renting vendor spaces. I will continue to go to Davenport and support the chapter. The AMCA shouldn't receive more than 10% of the fees collected.Jus sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
    The AMCA shouldn't receive more than 10% of the fees collected.Jus sayin.
    If we're all members of the AMCA, what's wrong with the National getting 25%; it's not suppose to be about profit. However, if you want to be your own promoters and keep all the money and cut the AMCA out, then don't call yourselves the Blackhawk chapter of the AMCA.

crap.Coke changed the formula once.See how that went.

Matt,
    You are reading something into this that doesn't exist. The only reason there will be no judging is because it will be a regional meet and not a national meet. It is not that the chapter has decided not to have judging.

Here is what I received;
    Subject: 2012 meet

What follows is a bit of background on a subject that is likely to be a subject of some discussion at the upcoming meet.

Beginning late last fall the members of the Chief Blackhawk Chapter began discussing the future of the fall meet. In early 2011 a number of folks agreed to meet as a committee apart from the monthly meetings and, if memory serves correctly, they met no less than three times to debate the merits of their views. At the Chapter meeting in May the committee reported and recommended the Chapter continue to do the Fall meet and for the meet be a regional meet for 2012. A motion was made and seconded to this effect and the membership in attendance voted in the affirmative. So the 2012 meet on Labor Day weekend will be an AMCA regional meet, not an AMCA National meet.

The AMCA National Meet Coordinator was notified of the decision by the Chapter in early August and the program for the 2011 Fall National will include a brief note informing the vendors and visitors of the change for 2012.

If you have any questions about this please contact me.

If you are questioned about this please point the questioner to me.

Thank you,
    Charles E. Finney
    President
    Chief Blackhawk Chapter
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

For my personal satisfaction, I attended the Davenport meet to photograph the judged bikes. I took detailed photographs of every detail that may pertain to my projects and future projects, in regards to correctness. I can't estimate how many people do as I do but I am certain I am not in a minority. I scoured the meet for parts from my photographs. Again as for my personal satisfaction...beholding those beautiful pristene and correct machines enticed me into many a project. Call it temptation if you will, but those bikes drive people into wanting. I really think the meet will suffer attendance from this decision.

Thread Information