Thread: Yale motorcycle in current issue of AIM

Yale motorcycle in current issue of AIM

I enjoyed the article and pictures in this month's AIM about the 1913 Yale motorcycle, especially since I ran across a similar one at an event I attended this past weekend. Here's a picture I took of a 1914 Yale. 1914Yale.jpg
    The event was the 4th annual Dave's Hot Rod Picnic, in Monroe, WA, close to where I live.

The event is mostly an opportunity for people to show off their custom cars, hot rods, and antique cars, but quite a few people come on their motorcycles, of which the Yale above was definitely the oldest. I saw a couple of Indians - a Scout and a 4-cylinder one, and a Shovelhead, and I brought my Panhead, but most of the other bikes were the kinds you usually see.

The owner of the property, Dave (don't know his last name), is quite a collector himself. I'm told he has about 100 Indians. I saw at least 30, and he has a large garage that wasn't open this year, where I'm sure he has a bunch more. He's mostly interested in Indians, but I saw a couple of Knucks that I would guess are 46es or so.

He also has a Jones for '34 Fords, with 8 or 10 of various kinds in one garage - pickup, sedan, sedan delivery, coupe, convertible, and even a chauffeur-driven limousine where the drive is out in the open and the passengers are enclosed. The guy who works there as a mechanic says that is one of only two still in existence. That garage also had a Corvette and two pickups. The garage looks like half of a locomotive roundhouse, with about a dozen bays, with a car behind each door.

He also collects airplanes. In one garage he has four twin-engine seaplanes and one regular plane with a single engine. As you can imagine, the garage is pretty good size, to fit five airplanes, although all but one of them have their wings off.

Re: Yale motorcycle in current issue of AIM

Glad you like the classic motorcycle coverage we give every month in American Iron Magazine. And yes, that is a cool Yale. Quite a coincidence.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Forum Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Harley magazine
    Classic Harley Classic Harley Info
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

There used to be a Yale in the UPS offices in Seattle. I am sure it is still there.
    UPSROD

4. Re: Yale motorcycle in current issue of AIM

And I always thought Yale was in New Haven.
    Dual Carb - 2 carbs are better than 1

Classic Harley Magazine
    Vincent Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Kanter View Post
    Glad you like the classic motorcycle coverage we give every month in American Iron Magazine.
    Yes, that's one of my favorite features, and it's one that my wife sort of likes - at least I show her the pictures. Jim Babchak does a nice job on that area - I was surprised to see that someone else did it this month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Kanter View Post
    And yes, that is a cool Yale. Quite a coincidence.
    I also liked your article on your dual-carb Pan. Lots of trials and tribulations, but it sounds like the problems with the bottom end and carb bracket are pretty well sorted out. I'll bet that engine runs pretty smooth and makes a nice amount of power!

Thread Information