PDA

View Full Version : Panster or Shovster?

Buzz_Kanter
01-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I remember years ago guys were bolting Panhead and Shovelhead top ends on Sportsters and calling them Pansters and Shovsters.

Anyone here have any experience with that?

How'd it work bolting a 1 cam set of heads on a 4 cam bottom end?

csm
01-27-2008, 05:35 PM
"Bolting on" is probably not the best description as they required a LOT of machine work to the cases, tappet blocks, etc. All of the successful ones that I know of were built by, or with the help of, the legendary Ron Trock. I think he did the real R&D work on this back around 1970. I believe he mostly does CV carb work now, but he is an easy guy to talk to and can give you all the straight info.

Trock Cycle Specialities
13 N. 417 French Road
Hampshire, Ill. 60140
708-683-4010

CSM

chiefj48
01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
does he have a web site??

chiefj48
01-27-2008, 08:11 PM
hey cotten,

what's sonny story?

csm
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
According to articles in various bike mags, his reworked CV's are a real improvement over stock (personally, I don't know squat about them). He used to make a range of parts that helped hopped-up Sportsters stay together.

Don't think Trock has a web site. Just give him a call (but be sure you have a LOT of time to listen as Ron can be a real talker when it comes to things that interest him). Actually, I'd like to see a magazine article focusing on him, rather than his carbs, as I think it would be fascinating. He was at the heart of building hot rod Sportsters in the Midwest in the late '60s - early '70s. Trock was one of the key people who helped George (S&S) Smith and Warner Riley with their Bonneville record Sportster. His "war stories" of those days are amazing.

CSM

Chris Haynes
01-27-2008, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=Cotten;4371]Anybody remember Sonny Raslawski?/QUOTE]

Sonny the worlds fastest Polock? Never heard of him.:D

dablaze
02-04-2008, 07:43 PM
'62 XLCH with Shovel top end and S&S internal bits and pieces. Not the guy who started the build, but the guy who got it together and working was Tim (now the mechanic at Ottawa HD in Ontario, Canada) He used to own BA Machine in Ottawa. If I ever wanted to see one again, it would be in a scoot that started with a button.

Craig

http://home.cogeco.ca/~lliberty1/shovster.jpg

Kojack
02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
A friend of mine had one a couple of years ago. He took it in on a trade not knowing exactly what it was. He tore it down for leaky base gaskets and the thing I remember most was that it had no head gaskets at all. We weren't too sure about this. I spotted "Trocy" cast into the cylinders and remembered the name from the 70s. I was able to look up Trock's current business on the internet and gave them a call. Like CSM says, he's a real easy guy to talk to. He seemed to really enjoy reminiscing about those motors. I agree, someone ought to do a story about him. Oh yeah, if you're worried about leaks from the pushrod tubes due to the different angles, it didn't seem to be an issue. And no, Trock didn't use head gaskets on them.

chiefj48
02-05-2008, 06:51 PM
no head gaskets???? i guess it was a good fit!!!

Kojack
02-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes it was. Trock said to make sure that the top of the lip on the cylinder had .000"-.002" clearance between it and where it would touch the floor of the combustion chamber. (This particular motor had .000") He compared it to the setup used on high pressure steam fittings. We smeared a very thin coating of blue silicon on the gasket surface and bolted it together. It worked fine like that.

guyrudy5@aol.com
10-16-2009, 06:21 AM
As I recall, Trock CAST his own cylinders for this process and cast cast iron sportstser trap doors as well. I had heard he was also working with Carl's speed shop to make cast iron sportster cases as well. Ive never heard one run but have heard the run well. In one of those articles from (back in the day) Trock was quoted to say "all the unit construction motor ever needed was more jug" I agree. I would like to see shovel heads and cylinders put on one of those sportster motors they're cutting the tranny off of and hooking up with 4 speed belt drives

Big Ed
10-16-2009, 06:21 PM
I remember years ago guys were bolting Panhead and Shovelhead top ends on Sportsters and calling them Pansters and Shovsters.

Anyone here have any experience with that?

How'd it work bolting a 1 cam set of heads on a 4 cam bottom end?

Hows about a little twist, ironhead topend on a 45 lowerend ? I was in a local indy shop last yr and the wrench was putting this 45 magnum together to sell. :)