PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Sportster

markpratt
01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
I recently purchased a 1982 sportster. How canI tell if it is an anniversary edition

nuklhd
01-28-2010, 05:09 AM
1982 dosnt bring anything to mind but harley davidson did start slapping anniversary emblems on later bikes. what would that be, the 78th anniv.

Sarge
01-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Their advertising, I seem to remember, made something of the "25th year of Sportster (1957-1982) , come to think of it. Could that be what you mean? Were there emblems on a "Twentiy-Fifth Sportster?" I don't recall anything specific.

BK55
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi markpratt,

I found this picture of the 25th anniversary Sportster. It seems to have been a limited edition paint job and special emblems.

Bruce

Sarge
01-29-2010, 04:30 PM
That's what I'm talkin' about! Nice find. If you contact the factory, as others have from this here forum, they may have serial number records of which constituted the "only 1800" 25th Anniversary Sportsters built. Looks like it had a special front fender emblem. 77Confederate, for one, knows how to do it. He researched his Confederate edition.
I believe what you have to do is send the company your VIN, and they'll tell you if it qualifies. Is there anything about your '82, like paint or emblem still left, that leads you to believe it might be one of them?

BK55
01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
markpratt,

I have a couple of other pics you might like. The first one is the description that goes with the previous pic. The second one is an anniversary pic with the 25th Sportster in it and Willie G. among others at the time. By the way, all of these pics are from the Spring '82 Enthusiast.

Sarge,
The emblem on the front fender is most likely the one that was on all '82 models, the brass looking eagle and shield with 1982 on it commemorating the buyback.

Bruce

Sarge
01-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Here's that page made a little clearer. All I did was copy it into my Photobucket album and post it back here. Came out a bit larger, and legible:

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq90/Sarge_74/82AnnivSportster.jpg

Freddie Z
11-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I was the origional owner of a 1982 Silver Aniversary Sportster. I purchased it brand new in March of 1984. It was a very unique bike. It sat at Luckys Harley Davidson in Thomasville N.C. until he went out of business. From there it sat at Youngs Harley Davidson in Greensboro N.C. It was well on it's way to it'S 3rd birthday. The reason it was so hard to sell was the price. The MSRP was $5300 which at the time was more than a Super Glide. There were only 700 produced and only 699 sold. The last one went in the museum at York. I saw it there. When you purchased it new it came with a parchment with your name on it which was hand signed by Willie G. & Vaughn Beales. The parchment stated that you were the origional owner of a special Motorcycle commorating the 25th aniversary of the Harley Davidson Sportster. It was only available in Burgandy & Pewter. The ignition cover said 25 on it. The battery cover said Silver Aniversary. The plate on the triple tree also stated what it was. The seat was rolled and pleated with no sissy bar. The only way to get any of these replaced was with a copy of the Parchment and a picture ID. You couldn't buy the paint. you had to produce the same to get the numbers and have it mixed locally. It came in four designs. Peanut tank with either powder coated primary & cam cover or polished aluminum primary & cam cover. It also came in the same configurations with the smaller tank. The bike with the larger tank and powder coating was called a Roadster although the frame was the same size. I loved & rode this Motorcycle almost 30000 miles. I ran into dealers who had heard of it but didn't recieve one nor had they even seen one. Then one August Night in 1990 it gave up the ghoast. The oil pump went out and it dropped a rod in a less than desirable neighborhood. I met my Wife that night. I was pushing it home & I still had a good ways to go. She found me went and got a tire chain which we used to tow it to my house. The worst and best things that could have happened to me occured that night.

cbass
11-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Now that is a great story.

Mr. Big
11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Great story Freddie and welcome to the forum.....

Freddie Z
11-07-2013, 09:55 AM
I was the origional owner of a 1982 Silver Aniversary Sportster. I purchased it brand new in March of 1984. It was a very unique bike. It sat at Luckys Harley Davidson in Thomasville N.C. until he went out of business. From there it sat at Youngs Harley Davidson in Greensboro N.C. It was well on it's way to it'S 3rd birthday. The reason it was so hard to sell was the price. The MSRP was $5300 which at the time was more than a Super Glide. There were only 700 produced and only 699 sold. The last one went in the museum at York. I saw it there. When you purchased it new it came with a parchment with your name on it which was hand signed by Willie G. & Vaughn Beales. The parchment stated that you were the origional owner of a special Motorcycle commorating the 25th aniversary of the Harley Davidson Sportster. It was only available in Burgandy & Pewter. The ignition cover said 25 on it. The battery cover said Silver Aniversary. The plate on the triple tree also stated what it was. The seat was rolled and pleated with no sissy bar. The only way to get any of these replaced was with a copy of the Parchment and a picture ID. You couldn't buy the paint. you had to produce the same to get the numbers and have it mixed locally. It came in four designs. Peanut tank with either powder coated primary & cam cover or polished aluminum primary & cam cover. It also came in the same configurations with the smaller tank. The bike with the larger tank and powder coating was called a Roadster although the frame was the same size. I loved & rode this Motorcycle almost 30000 miles. I ran into dealers who had heard of it but didn't recieve one nor had they even seen one. Then one August Night in 1990 it gave up the ghoast. The oil pump went out and it dropped a rod in a less than desirable neighborhood. I met my Wife that night. I was pushing it home & I still had a good ways to go. She found me went and got a tire chain which we used to tow it to my house. The worst and best things that could have happened to me occured that night.

More of the story. At that time Ravon & Wanda Young sent out a monthly news letter. This was before the internet & email or texting. The Motorcycle was listed as on sale in it. I along with the assistance of my father had been searching for me a used Harley without much luck. I had seen the bike and decided I wanted to take a close look at it. On a Saturday morning he & I went over there. In those days the only way you could leave with a Bike on Saturday was to pay cash. So I put a deposit on it. My best buddy & I returned Tuesday as all Harley shops were closed on Monday. In those days the only way you rode a new Harley was buy it first. However Ravon allowed me to ride it before I signed anything. I don't know if this was because he knew & liked us or he was just desperate to sell it. When I pulled up in front of the building I still wasn't sure ths was the exact bike I wanted. When I saw myself in the window I knew it was me. They sent us to lunch so the bike could be checked out & all of the paperwork ready for delivery. It turned cold that day and began to rain. Needless to say it was a very cold ride home. In fact ice froze on me not just the bike but I was still elated.

Larry May
11-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Mark, I currently own the XLHA version of the 25th ann sporty, they also made an XLS roadster version, thanks, Larry

Larry May
11-07-2013, 11:13 AM
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/lm1146/20131107_110058.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/lm1146/media/20131107_110058.jpg.html) here is the factory photo of the XLHA, it says 932 were made at MSRP of 4632.00 thanks, Larry

Larry May
11-07-2013, 11:17 AM
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/lm1146/20131107_110132.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/lm1146/media/20131107_110132.jpg.html) here is the other side

panacea
11-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I always look for the cloud in every silver lining. Cool story Freddie!