PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Wrench Source?

flathead
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
I need to buy one of those curved cylinder nut wrenches that fit old flatheads and Pans. Any suggestion on where to buy a decent one without spending a fortune?

dualcarb
12-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I see them on ebay every once in a while.

Paps
12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Easy Russ Auto, Grand Rapids, MI Paps

28JDCA
12-07-2008, 10:50 AM
The hardest part is figuring out what they're called. One name is hook spanner ...on eBay. ...bill in oregon

Sarge
12-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Call it ennything you want, Just don't leave home widdout one:

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq90/Sarge_74/CylinderBaseWrenchedited-1.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq90/Sarge_74/CylinderBaseWrench2edited-1.jpg

I think I found this is an auto parts store years ago. Wasn't any special source. It takes off the cylinder base nuts.

TEACH
12-07-2008, 01:11 PM
V-twin has a set of them

indianut
12-07-2008, 01:30 PM
They are caled 'manifold wrench's' and are very easy to make with flea market wrench's and a torch. Actually it works better that way cause you can get EXACTLY what you want.

portagepan
12-07-2008, 03:32 PM
That'a a dog bone. Sears also has them. Do you know that Sears supports our reserve soldiers fighting now? Does China?
Mike

Micmac
12-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't make my living outta my toolbox, but I have for the most part Craftsman tools. I have a few Snap-ons, but for the shade-tree stuff I do. Sears works. No chi-coms here.I dealt with those bastages elsewhere long ago.

Bigincher
12-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Same here. Craftsman as much as possible.

Sarge
12-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't make my living outta my toolbox, but I have for the most part Craftsman tools. I have a few Snap-ons, but for the shade-tree stuff I do. Sears works. No chi-coms here.I dealt with those bastages elsewhere long ago.

So did I, but you probably didn't pull your pants on this morning widdout donning Chicom cloth. Most of our clothes, not to mention shoes, electronics, furniture, gadgets, toys, and food, at least the additives, are made by the Chinese Mainlanders. You'd drive yourself crazy trying to live a "pure life" avoiding their stuff, ennymore, as much as we'd all like to. Remember when Wal-Mart claimed they were trying to "buy American" as much as possible? That was back when Sam was still alive. No more. That white flag's been run up long ago.

Besides, my wrench sez "Taiwan," that's Nationalist China, the island, Shang Kai Shek China, that's been standing up to the Reds for 70 years.
There's mostly, like most decent Americans, plenty of as-old-as-35-years Snap-ons and Craftsmans in my Snap-on Roll Around. Sorry for posting the photos of a cheap thing I bought because it serves the purpose. I thot some might wonder what was being talked about.
The Repentant One:

Micmac
12-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Yer right Sarge. I try though, best I can. Carhartt are now made in Vietnam, Peoples Republic. I buy Wranglers now, made right here in Greensboro, Nawth Cakalaki. I really try hard not to buy off shore. Now that you mention it, I bought some Snap On flashlights the other day and discovered they were Chi-Com - shoulda kept quiet on it. Apoligies All.

Gerard
12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah, made in the USA, good stuff....This Bahco spanner is not steel, but hard bronze. Are used on tankers and refineries.

Paps
12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Craftsman are not all made in the USA anymore either. It SUCKS ! Our industries are all but history. I'm sittin in a grocery store parking lot this summer, waiting on the Wife to come out. A real sweet lookin pic-em-up truck backs in, just in front of me. A GMC 4 x 4 with lift kit. The dude had all the goodies on it. What really caught my eye.....was his bumper sticker. "Don't Fly My Flag On Your Foreign Vehicle" His patriotism was honorable. But ???? I was almost tempted to get out of my car and stroll over to him. Why ??? I was going to praise his truck. Then I was going to ask him for a peek see under the hood. Then.....I was going to point out all of the foreign made parts on his engine. Paps

pogo seat
12-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Whats a wrench like that sell for? I see them on ebay for $35 or so.

chiefj48
12-11-2008, 11:11 PM
i always thought the "S" wrench from Snap-on was the best one to use. they are longer, and give you more leverage. i've used the smaller one, but they don't seem to work as good around the cylinders.

just my .02 worth

joe
09-20-2010, 05:50 PM
They are also called Obstruction Wrenches. I got mine from the guy in the Snap On truck.

twinrider1
09-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Cylinder base nut wrenches are common in general aviation. I wonder if one of these might be useful?

http://www.pilotshop.rs/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/2/12-11200_1.jpg

Pat Bartlett
09-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Twinrider 1 - The same thought crossed my mind about using the aviation wrenches. They look to me like they would work. It may be a China-build wrench, but you can get the Harley cylinder wrench from J&P for not too much.

BART