PDA

View Full Version : Mousetrap Clutch

dualcarb
08-02-2008, 01:12 PM
So what's the deal with a mousetrap clutch?

Are they really necessary and how do you set them up right if they don't work too well?

panacea
08-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Is there some kind of award for the most threads opened? The mousetrap adjustment procedure is on page 151 of the 48-57 panhead manual.

Chris Haynes
08-02-2008, 05:26 PM
So what's the deal with a mousetrap clutch?

Are they really necessary and how do you set them up right if they don't work too well?

They are not necessary. You can always use the post mousetrap clutch assembly.

dualcarb
08-03-2008, 07:23 AM
They are not necessary. You can always use the post mousetrap clutch assembly.

What is a "post mousetrap clutch assembly" and what's involved in swapping them out?

Chris Haynes
08-03-2008, 09:33 AM
What is a "post mousetrap clutch assembly" and what's involved in swapping them out?

That is the clutch that H-D brought out in 1968. Different clutch plates and springs. Cable direct to throwout lever(which is also different).

panz4ever
08-03-2008, 11:32 AM
The aftermarket industry calls it the "mousetrap eliminator". Places like J&P offer it as a kit and notes it eliminates the mousetrap linkage from 52-68 and converts it to the 68-E79 type.

Why get rid of it ? Why not just take the time to adjust it properly. And if the cable going to the handlebar comes undone, at least you can still reach down and shift by hand (having had to do it once)

DLS8
08-03-2008, 11:38 PM
If you want to tinker with your mousetrap, be VERY carefull, you could break a finger or two! I darn near did while I was at M.M.I. :eek:

Bigincher
08-04-2008, 12:14 AM
If you want to tinker with your mousetrap, be VERY carefull, you could break a finger or two! I darn near did while I was at M.M.I. :eek:

There's a reason it's nicknamed "mousetrap".

Chris Haynes
08-04-2008, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't let too many people know you went to MMI. Their graduates are usually passed over by shops that have hired one in the past.

tennashovel
08-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I think mousetraps are great. When they are adjusted right there is very little movement at the clutch lever needed. And as Panz, I have had a cable break and had to shift by reaching down and doing it manually. Nice to have that back-up option.

DLS8
08-05-2008, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't let too many people know you went to MMI. Their graduates are usually passed over by shops that have hired one in the past.

I am very well aware of that sad side effect.
The school is very good. You get out of it what you put into it. They will not feed you knowledge like you are a cute puppy dog begging for food.
They will teach you the basics and then tell you that the hiring dealership will fill in the blanks. If you try to extract all the knowledge available from them you will come out far ahead of the game, almost all of the blanks pre-filled, far above the typical graduate. :)

Read, read, read some more. Question, question, question them 'till they look at you funny all the time. Squeeze it out of them, because they do possess the knowledge. For the $$$ I was a bit dissapointed, but I learned ALOT!!!

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread, dualcarb... :o

Gerard
10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Maybe it has been said already, if so, then remove my post.
Most of the time (nearly all times) the rod and cable of that mousetrap are mounted without any play. They fit exactly. And that`s the point. If you do so, you need both hands so to say. But: Mount the cable without any play, and now give the rod to the clutch lever a very little play, just 1/20 of an inch or so. What happens then is this: If you squeeze the clutch handle, the mousetrap starts to turn in the first 1/20 of an inch without pulling that rod, is so to say developing it`s power, and just then starts pulling that rod and declutch. If you do so, you can handle it with two fingers, try it out. Greets Gerard.

P.s. Sorry I forgot something: The spring inside the mousetrap. The ,,pulling force" can be adjusted with that screw. See that you lock it very well again, to avoid the screw coming loose while riding on the highway :)

dmf1
10-31-2008, 09:03 PM
I have found that the best way to learn how to adjust a mousetrap clutch is trial and error. Follow the manual as a guide as it explains exactly how to do it, but you will need to play with it awhile before you start to get a feel for how it works and how to adjust it. It came clear to me after several frustrating sessions. When they are set up well, they work great. Adjusting these things is an art form and it takes patience. I would not replace it - I think it is one of the great classics features of the old pans.
Dean